May 30, 2012

Chapter Three Page Five, Dave, Dave's House



“Hey, Dave,” Neil said.

            “Hey,” Dave said, “How are you feeling?”
            “I’m ok.”
            “Don’t sound ok,” Dave said. He was getting second thoughts for what he was about to ask.
            “Whatever. It looks real bad right now but it’ll be better in a week or two. Bruises don’t last any longer than two weeks. I looked it up.”
            “Fuck,” Dave said, “I’m sorry. I was going to ask if…”
            “I’m not really up for anything,” Neil said, “Sorry if it seems like I kind of cut you off. You trailed away there.”
            “I guess I should say it anyway,” Dave said, “I found the cave.”
            “Which cave?”
            “The cave with the Candle Crown in it,” Dave said.
            “I don’t think you understand how seriously these guys take themselves,” Neil said, “That guy was going to kill me before… I’m not sure. I think he fucked up my head too bad for me to remember clearly.”
            “Damn dude,” Dave said, “I’ll let you be.”
            “Thanks, but, I’ll be up for something tomorrow maybe. I don’t know how I’ll feel then.”
            “For Ember Cave?”
            “The cave with the Crown in it?”
            “Yeah, that’s what it’s called,” Dave said.
            “No,” Neil said. There wasn’t anything friendly about the way he said it. It was a final statement. It brokered no dispute.
            “Ok,” Dave said, “Probably won’t go then.”
            “Fucking go if you want to. Don’t use me as an excuse not to go.”
            “Do you want me to go?”
            “Fuck you.”
            “Sorry,” Dave said, “I was planning on going either way.”
            “Maybe we should just stop fucking talking about this.”
            “What do you mean?”
            “About this… you always want to do stupid shit. Get drunk or go in sewers or go, like, twenty miles over the speed limit or drive on the wrong side of the road for as long as you can or try drifting in your mom’s convertible. All of that. I’m sick of it.”
            “I,” Dave said.
            “Yeah, you.”
            “I’m sorry,” Dave said.
            There was silence on the other end. And fifteen minutes later Dave was calling Robb. Robb picked up after the fourth ring. “Yello?”
            “Hey, Robb, you wanna do something stupid?”
            “Fuck yeah.”

NEXT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment