May 30, 2012

Chapter Three Page Seven, Dave, Dave's House



“Big enough for sneaking?” Robb said. “Look, let’s think this over some more before just jumping into this. I’m fucking interested in what this means, or could mean. But I can’t tell you I’m all in unless I have the confidence that we have a chance at getting whatever it is this thing really is.”

            “What do you mean by that?”
            “I want you to have a plan. I want you to know what this place looks like. Come on. No one ever robs a place blind, they know the layout, the security. Everything.”
            “I guess that’s fair,” Dave said.
            “Yeah,” Robb said, “Listen, we’ll just go ahead and talk about this tomorrow. Maybe next weekend we’ll do this. Friday. Friday we’ll do this. I’ll get some things on my end. Guns, if I can.”
            “Guns?” Dave said, “I’m not sure we should be bringing guns.”
            “Look, we’ll need them for intimidation,” Robb said.
            “Are you sure? Are you absolutely sure?”
            “Here, listen, we’ll grab some tools and things,” Robb said, “Some hammers and wrenches and things for close quarters. I wanna go shooting off some guys in a cave as much as you do, but we have to be prepared for the chance that they’ll be carrying weapons of their own. I mean, just from what you’ve said, I’m guessing they will have guns. And they won’t be some fucking cops or anything who’ll wait before shooting.”
            “These are goons,” Dave said.
            “Goons?” Robb said, “Really? You’re calling them goons?”
            “Goons seems like an appropriate title. They’re greasy thugs, violent, they beat up a kid.”
            “Neil? That’s right. Neil. Fucking hell. We gotta do this right, for Neil.”
            “Yeah,” Dave said, “Yeah.”
            “Alright, call me when you have more info. And maybe you oughta think about getting someone else in on this, yeah?”
            “Who?” Dave asked.
            “A getaway driver or someone, or maybe someone who’s sneakier than I am. I lift meat for a warehouse, dude, I’m not exactly a thin and nimble thief type. I’d be better as a bruiser. You could call me in if things got hairy. You need someone who can keep up with you, who can stay one step behind you.”
            “Come on dude,” Dave said, “You’re perfect.”
            “Awe thanks but don’t go proposing yet,” Robb said, “I haven’t gone on a good run in fucking months now. I’m not sure I’d be able to escape quickly enough if we had to run. Don’t worry. I’ll keep your escape route and means clear so you can get to them easily.”
            “Ok,” Dave said, “I guess I’ll call you when I can, when I know. I’ll get on finding someone else for you. But only because you asked.”
            “Thanks bro, I’ll talk to you later. Let me know if you get more interested in blacking out on a blacktop somewhere.”
            Robb hung up first, which saved Dave the trouble. He hated being the one to hang up, to say goodbye last.
            He called Elys next.

No comments:

Post a Comment