May 30, 2012

Chapter Two Page Two, Mary and Dani, The Tunnel



Dani looked back into the tunnel, took a single step, and stopped. “Thanks for this.”

            “Not a problem,” Mary said, “I hate hearing about how your parents treat you like some secondhand kid all the time.”
            “They’re not my parents, and I’m totally a secondhand kid, but thanks,” Dani said. She kept walking forward.
            “No,” Mary said, “You’re not a second hand kid. Sorry that you feel that way, but it’s highly irresponsible of you to think wrong thoughts and I will not have it.”
            Dani chuckled, and it echoed ahead of them. She kept walking. It was practically a stroll. Mary had to pick up her own pace to continue. “You don’t know,” Dani said, “But I appreciate the sympathy.”
            “At least you appreciate something,” Mary said, paused, and added “That came out wrong.”
            “Your dad’s laid back about everything,” Dani said, “Does he even care we’re out here? Shouldn’t he be worried about you gettin’ abducted by the enemies of the Freemasons, or whatever?”
            “My dad is not a Freemason. He’s a Strifepalm. And anyway, you’re not supposed to know that, so shush. But he doesn’t care. He knows I’m already a worrywart.”
            “Worrywart,” Dani said.
            “Yeah, that’s a word. If you typed it into a computer, it wouldn’t put a red squiggly line under it or anything,” Mary said.
            “Ok,” Dani said, “I wasn’t debating whether or not it is, like, actually a word, just FYI, or whatever.”
            “And plus, you may not have noticed while we were there, but he’s at a meeting and so not home,” Mary said, “And, also, should we think of turning around? We are… pretty far into this tunnel?”
            “It’s a long fuckin’ tunnel,” Dani said, “So long, you’d think that most girls don’t really go walking inside for a long time. They probably turn back early. Because... of monsters, or, like, frisky hobos.”
            “You are making a really good argument for turning around there,” Mary said.
            “It’s an awful argument and you know it. Anyway, that was my point. The only argument for turning around is waaah waaah I’m afraid of things that aren’t real, or do you not see what I’m saying?”
            “But I am afraid of things that aren’t real. I mean, just because something isn’t real doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be afraid of it.”
            “Whaaaat?”
            “Look, just, look at these walls. They are pretty much spotless. Completely smooth, mostly. But have you been noticing what I have been noticing?” Mary stopped and pointed her flashlight at an abrasion on the surface of the wall.
            “Yeah, someone’s keyed up the place, so what?” Dani said, “I keyed up some guy’s car once. He was double-parked in a flashy red convertible. What a reprehensible bastard.”
            “Uh, I did not know that, but whatever,” Mary said, “These don’t really look like marks made by keys to me. They look more like… claw marks.”
            Dani chuckled again, “Next, we’re going to hear a stupid roaring noise, and something raucously tearing down the hall towards us. Seriously, what is it that makes you so goddamn afraid of everything?”
            “Well,” Mary said, intending to describe what makes her so goddamn afraid of everything.
            “You didn’t want to go over to David’s that one night, even when he said he’d keep it sober. You didn’t want to go to the library on my birthday, and then you didn’t want to go to the bookstore, and while admittedly they’re both in sketchy parts of town and it was night, that doesn’t mean we’re going to run into hooligans at places occupied primarily by books.”
            “Hey there could be bibliophilic scoundrels around; you don’t know for sure that there aren’t. That’d be a good reason for avoiding bookstores.”
            “Reeeeally?”
            “Yeah, and whatever, let’s keep going,” Mary said. She paused to look back at the obsidian-ness, wanting to notice a change in her environment, but detected nothing. Everything was as it had been before, except Mary felt a pain in her chest that she felt every time Dani acted contentious for the sake of acting contentious.

No comments:

Post a Comment