May 30, 2012

Chapter Two Page One, Mary and Dani, The Woods



“It’s dark,” Mary said, “I don’t know if heading down there is a good idea.”

            “Scared of hobos?” Dani asked, “Monsters or something? What are the chances there’ll be any monsters down there?  What are the chances that monsters even exist? I mean really.”
            “I was more afraid of the hobos,” Mary said, “But that hypothetical string of questions you just threw at me has me wondering about monsters now.”
            “Come on,” Dani said.
            Though their flashlights cut through the dark of the night, it was still dark and it was still night. They were off in the woods on the west end of Falling Rocks, a mile or two away from Mary’s home, and a quite a few miles further away from Dani’s home.
            “I’m kind of good at fighting anyway,” Dani said, “Or did you forget?”
            “Do you actually have your knife with you now?” Mary asked.
            “Maybe,” Dani said, “Anyways, it doesn’t matter. I don’t want to kill any hobos. I can just give them, like, a bloody nose or something when they get frisky.”
            “Poor choice of words there,” Mary said, “But, lead the way. If you see any frisky hobos let me know so I can make a run for it.”
            “Yeah, hobos will run slow, that’s definitely something you can count on,” Dani said, stepping over the bricks that had once stood as a wall for a home. A home that had been inhabited by a family of five.
Tragically, a fire had begun in their cellar, a fire which had spread and killed all five of the family members. It was a week before anyone investigated the smoke. This all happened before the American Civil War. Quite a time ago.
            Back then, there hadn’t been a stairway leading down into the ground. Mary was almost sure her dad would have told her about a stairway, if he had been so interested in telling her about the deaths of five people.
            Dani reached the bottom of the stairs first, and stood, staring into the inky dark below. “It’s weird,” Dani said, looking up towards the beam of Mary’s flashlight, “But I don’t see any footprints or rags or anything down here. In fact, it’s a tunnel. And it keeps going.”
            “A tunnel?” Mary asked.
            “A tunnel.”
            “Ok,” Mary said, “I thought you said… funnel… for some reason.”
            “Would that make it better?” Dani asked.
            “No,” Mary said.
            Mary saw what Dani had meant by weird; the walls and floor and ceiling were all slick and black. Mary touched the wall with her hand, expecting it to be dripping or wet, but instead it was just cold and smooth.
            “What is it?” Mary asked.
            “I would say obsidian,” Dani said, “But I don’t think it is very likely we’d find any of that here. I don’t recall the last time a volcano, like, erupted on the eastern seaboard.”
            “Could be something dormant,” Mary said.
            “A volcano would make it warmer,” Dani said.
            Mary nodded, zipped up her jacket, and waited for Dani to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment