“It’s
some kind of silly thing to you, isn’t it? But maybe you want this to be a
bigger deal than it is. If you’ll help me ruin Kyle Avem’s car in return for
this, sure, I guess count me in. But first, we need to wreck this asshole’s
ride as soon as we can. Tonight, preferably.”
“Tonight it is,” Dave said, “You
wanna do it with fire?”
“Too bright,” Elys said, “We’ll get
seen before we’re done. We should set loose some delayed explosives in the
engine. Controlled explosives.”
“Alright yeah, just let me get ahold
of my military grade weapons store—oh wait I don’t have anything even remotely
like that.”
“I have some recipes I can try,”
Elys said, “I’ll test them before we actually do it.”
“Test them? Won’t someone hear?”
“I’m not an idiot,” Elys said,
“There won’t be a way to trace the explosives back to me.”
“Are you sure? I’d like to avoid
unnecessary risks if I can. Especially getting caught due to stupid reasons.
Like, having cops find your testing site and match chemicals or something lame
like that.”
“I said I’m not an idiot. Don’t you
trust me?”
“Ok, fine, when are we meeting and
where?”
“My place?” Elys asked.
“And when?”
“Eight, so we’ll be doing this under
the cover of night,” Elys said.
“Well of course,” Dave said, “I
wouldn’t dream of doing this during the day obviously. I mean seriously you
never revenge bomb someone in the open daylight. It’s a nighttime activity.”
“You seem to believe that this isn’t
a serious thing for me,” Elys said, “But maybe someday, when I tell you what he
did, why he deserves this so seriously, more than anyone I’ve known personally
has ever deserved anything, you’ll understand.”
“Maybe
someday… maybe is a word that seems
to be quite popular in your vocabulary.”
“Maybe I like saying maybe a lot.
Maybe I like the way maybe sounds. Maybe you don’t know. Maybe I don’t know.”
“Maybe I’ll just meet you at your
place at eight. I’ll walk there. Going on foot is better than going in a car
that someone will recognize the next day.”
“By foot seems wisest.”
“It’s because it is,” Dave said,
“with the amount of vandalism I’ve done, I learn certain things. One of the
best things I learned is that you can keep people from identifying you better
if you’re not in a car. People can remember make and model a lot better than
your face. Which, by the way, we should work on covering ours up. Do you have a
scarf or something you can wear?”
“So that any cop that sees us will
just arrest us on the spot?”
“You can definitely assume that cops
will be looking at us and trying to figure out whether or not we’re about to do
crime, or you can just accept the fact that cops don’t patrol everywhere, and
maybe with my experience, I know backyards and alleys that we can take that’ll
keep us out of the easy access public eye. Anyway, I got people that I don’t
exactly want to run into.”
“What kind of people?” Elys asked.
“Goons,” Dave said.
“Goons?”
“Slimy guys who beat up kids,” Dave
said, “Have you seen Neil?”
“No,” Elys said, “What would I have
to do with him?”
“I dunno,” Dave said, “I heard he
got beaten pretty bad awhile back, last night.”
“Weren’t you hanging out with him
last night? Shouldn’t you have protected that
little kid?”
“Why do you insist on calling him a
little kid?”
“Because he is,” Elys said, “What,
you going to try to convince me otherwise? He’s only good for track and field
and that’s it. I haven’t seen him do anything else. Seems like a boring guy.
I’ve never understood why you hang out with him.”
“Maybe
it’s better if we don’t talk about Neil, if that’s what you think of him.”
“Yeah, that’s what I figured you’d
say. Anyway, my house at eight. I’ll see you then.”
“I’ll let you know if anything
changes,” Dave said.
“You do that.”
She hung up. Dave tried to not smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment