Dave
waited in the area that had probably been the living room.
He figured the basement would have gotten
him further away from the noises, but he wasn’t ready to find out what the
vampire witch women had hidden down there. Another shade? Something worse?
The noises from above almost
convinced him to head downstairs anyway. Sometimes on nature shows they caught
the sounds of a pack of wolves feasting on freshly fallen prey. Dave thought it
sounded way too much like that for his liking. Especially when he associated it
with Bira, and her fangs. His mind conjured images that he was hella uncomfortable with.
He rubbed the spot on his chest
where the shade had…
Had done what, exactly? He couldn’t figure
out what exactly she’d been trying to do. Kill him, definitely. He’d been
losing consciousness. His body still didn’t feel like all the sensation had
returned yet. He wished it did. It was starting to feel weird. Almost like he
wasn’t totally tethered to reality anymore. Time felt more wishy washy than
usual.
Bira came back down eventually. She
still looked a bit bashful. “So I cleaned up a bit,” she said, “You shouldn’t
have to worry about finding anything if you go in there anymore.”
“Oh,” Dave said, “Thanks?”
“Yeah no problem,” she said, “Why
are you staring at my face like that?”
“You missed a spot,” Dave said,
pointing at his own right cheek.
She reached up and wiped away the
shadeblood. She hesitated. When she turned, Dave saw that it was to conceal
licking the blood from her fingers.
“You were a bit noisy,” he said, “I
mean I’ve heard about messy eaters, but—”
“Stop!” Bira said, spinning back to
face him, “It was awful enough, thinking you wanted to watch. But you actually listened?” She turned to walk
out the door, “That’s… so indecent. I can’t stomach this. Goodbye.”
“Uhm,” Dave said, “Bye.” He watched
her go. She was still carrying the axe, except the blade looked absolutely
clean.
After a few hours, Dave let the
curiosity get the better of him and went upstairs.
The room with the shade was empty now save
the pile of her clothes in the corner. Bira must have folded them afterwards.
Dave saw that there was white shadeblood still dripping from them. When he
knelt down, he wiped up some of it and looked at it on his finger for a second.
He had the urge to taste it for a brief second before remembering he wasn’t
insane.
Incisors
like doing that, Dave thought, people
don’t. Even if people still ate flesh. Just, not raw. And Dave was sure
blood drinking was sort of not a thing anyone did.
Elys arrived later, after Dave had
grown tired of sitting in the dead shade’s room. He heard her enter and walked
downstairs, expecting it was going to be Bira again for some reason.
She was teary eyed.
“What’s going on?” Dave asked.
“You can come back now,” she said,
“And you can be inducted into the Bricklayers tomorrow night.”
“Really?” Dave asked, “That is
awesome! Why are you crying?”
“I’m just so happy, maybe,” Elys
said, covering her mouth to silence a single sob, “I was worried he would say
no.”
“Who would say no?”
“My dad, idiot,” she said, “And I just got some other news as well. Maybe,
let’s not dwell on all of this. Is there anything in your room you wanna keep?”
“I’m already wearing the cool
sweatshirt,” Dave said, “So; no. I want to get out of this stupid house as soon
as possible. I want to go home and see my parents already. I’m sure they’ll be
as happy to see me as I’ll be to see them!”
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment