July 19, 2012

Chapter Fourteen Page Seven, Bren, The Memorial Center



Seymour spoke next, breaking the silence that Bren had never expected him to keep, “We must change. The Bricklayers abandoned their teachings, and now they are stronger than ever. They have persisted through all hardships. They could lose Falling Rocks and remain four times as powerful as any of the other three, including us. If we do not act now, we will fall behind. We will become, so it is said, obsolete.”

            “Just because the Bricklayers have abandoned their teachings and seen temporary success, does not mean we should too,” Jacqueline said. She leaned forward and looked over at Bren.
            Bren looked up, surprised.
            “Just what are you writing, girl?”
            “I’m new,” Bren said, “I’m jotting down a bit of what’s being said. So I can refer to it later. In case I want to make an observation that actually has support.”
            “I see,” Jacqueline said, “But I would prefer you did not record the content of this meeting.”
            Before Bren could nod, or put the book away, or slip the pen into her pocket, Blackwell cleared his throat to regain attention, and said, “She can take notes if she wants. I would like to hear what conclusions she draws. She is our Messiah afterall. It is probable that her opinion matters a great deal.”
            “I don’t think anyone appreciates the sarcasm, Edward,” said an as of yet unspoken man.
            “I apologize to Bren if I have offended her,” Blackwell said. He looked Bren in the eyes, raised his eyebrows, and said tiredly, “What is your opinion on all of this?”        
            Bren couldn’t tell if he actually wanted to know what she had to say. “Well… I don’t think we should support the Bricklayers. I don’t think the Greys will, either. But even if they do, they won’t stay allied long enough to cause us any trouble.”
            “The Greys are overambitious,” Seymour said, “Almost as overambitious as the Bricklayers.”
            “Thanks, Seymour,” Bren said.
            “But what if they stay allied long enough to defeat the Strifepalms and come after us?” Blackwell said, “What then? And why should we not destroy the Strifepalms? One less to worry about.”
            “That doesn’t mean we should give them special attention,” Jacqueline said.
            “Maybe,” Bren said, drawing the attention of everyone in the room, “We should strike the Bricklayers as soon as they’ve finished wiping out the Strifepalms. They might be weakened. We’d take them unaware, for sure.”
            Everyone kept staring at her.
            “Or not,” Bren said, “We could do nothing.”

NEXT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment