“Maybe I followed the path,” Elys said, “The
one we took. And then I just followed your
trail. It was pretty easy to find. I didn’t have to be a fucking eagle
scout to notice all the broken branches and dried blood that you left behind.”
“What you’re saying is it’d be pretty easy
for the police to find me here,” Dave said, “Whoopee.”
“But they haven’t,” Elys said, “Which means
they probably won’t for quite some time, if at all.”
“I mean, where the hell am I? What’s this
place even called?”
“The Red Door is a dead giveaway,” Elys
said, “This place is one of the Red Keys’ houses. Eventide Manor I think. They
probably planned explorations from inside of here and shit. It’s weird thinking
about how at one point this house must have been swarming with people who
believed they could pass into other worlds.”
“Sure, all of that made sense,” Dave said,
“We can skip the exposition if you want and get straight to not understanding
anything.”
“Good,” Elys said. She smiled.
“What?” Dave asked.
“Nothing,” she said, “This is just so
fucking awesome. Hiding out in a house in the woods, on the run from the
police, and you’re about to join me
in the Bricklayers. All of this is too
good to be true. You don’t understand, guy, I don’t have any friends in the
society. In fact, I’m pretty sure most of them don’t like me. They think I’m
only given any positions because my dad is the Mason’s Son and so I’m the
Mason’s Son’s daughter.”
“Like you get unfair treatment or
something?” Dave asked.
“Yeah,” she said, “I mean, they think I do.
But they don’t know how much work I have to do all the time. So much fucking
work, Dave. I have to get into skirmishes, usually with Grays. Do you have any
idea how hard it is to fight a Pyreweaver? Or a Strifepalm? They get to use magic and all we’ve got are our own damn
selves and whatever weapons we managed to bring along.”
“Are the Pyreweavers an organization?” Dave
asked.
“Stop asking stupid questions,” Elys said.
“Oh ok,” he said, “From context I’ll have to
assume Pyreweavers are members of the Grays. Which just makes so much sense.
What are aliens doing here?”
“They’re not aliens,” Elys said, “Just
freaks.”
“Freaks?” Dave asked.
“Yeah, totally,” Elys said, “Why would you
question that? Has anything I’ve told you ended up being wrong?”
“Yeah,” Dave said, “I can think of a few
things.”
“Like what?”
“For one you said we wouldn’t be killing a
kid, just wrecking his car, which in retrospect was a pretty bad idea too,” he
said, “But whatever, I don’t know why I’d question your assessment of the
Grays. I guess I don’t know anything about them so I questioned you in order to
find out who they are.”
“They’re a bunch of kids,” Elys said, “The
elders have been vanishing lately, and so the kids are running things now.
They’re running it like a gang.”
“A gang?”
“You ever see a bunch of kids hanging out at
the mall with red or blue hair? Wearing gray
clothes? Maybe those’re Grays.”
“Oh,” Dave said, “Now that you mention it,
yeah, I’ve seen ‘em around. Why do you call them freaks?”
“Because Grays can…” she sighed, “Do magic,
I guess.”
“Magic?” Dave asked.
“Yeah,” she said, “So can the Strifepalms.”
NEXT PAGE (?)
NEXT PAGE (?)
No comments:
Post a Comment