But Bren was frozen.
She realized her feet were suddenly ensnared
in a spider’s web that was steadily moving up to her ankles and calves. She
tried pulling her legs free but the webs continued to grow. The further they
raced up her legs the more easily she saw that there were spiders weaving the
webs, tiny red things. Bren looked up again and saw that the fifth statue had
been replaced by the Phrenic Witchseer, and when Bren looked at the others, she
saw that they were all gone.
“Girl,” a woman’s voice said.
Bren refused to answer it. The webs had
reached her waist. Bren thought that this was some sort of hallucination,
brought on by some drug that had to have been on the tip of the needle that had
pricked her finger.
“Girl,”
the voice insisted.
“What?”
Bren asked.
“Girl!”
Bren crossed her arms, having had enough of
this nonsense. She went to uncross them but the spiders had reached them. Bren
decided to close her eyes. She didn’t want to know what it would look like to
have spiders running across her eyes.
“GIRL!”
Bren’s mouth was covered; she wasn’t sure
what she was supposed to say.
Someone was shaking her. Bren opened her
eyes and she was back in the Memorial Center, standing upright with her arms
crossed and her head down. The flower lay shattered in pieces on the ground
below her.
Oops.
“Brenda,” Blackwell said. It’d sounded like
he had been saying girl earlier, Bren was sure of it. “You’re back with us?” He
held a folded white robe over his right arm, like a butler holding a towel.
“Yeah,” Bren said, “You knew I’d be going on
some kind of spirit walk?”
“A vision was what the prophecy said would
happen,” Blackwell said, “We didn’t expect it would take several hours though.”
“Several hours?” Bren asked. She turned
around. The pews were empty. Even the woman was gone. Bren wished that the
chamber at least had had windows so she could see if it was later in the
afternoon.
“Yes,” he said. He sounded tired.
“Can I go?” She asked.
“I’m supposed to give you the outfit you’ll
wear whenever you come here, from now on,” he said, “There is a meeting of the
circle tomorrow night, to discuss your ceremony. You will attend.”
Bren sighed.
“Listen, girl,” he said, “I don’t know why
you’ve decided to join us. The purpose of your decision may be innocent. But
while Seymour and Penelope seem to believe you have come to save us, I know
that prophecies can be misleading.”
“I’m not here to ruin anything,” Bren said,
“Sleep well on that, mister.”
He held the robe out to her and said nothing
as she took it.
“Thank you,” she said, “I joined because I
was tired of getting asked all of the time. Now I can rest peacefully knowing
that I won’t have you all breathing down my neck.”
“Seymour will keep pestering you until you
become a regular member,” Blackwell said, “Nothing has changed.”
“I know that, Mr. Blackwell,” Bren said, “I
was making a joke.”
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment