July 5, 2012

Chapter Thirteen Page Eight, Dave and Elys, The House in the Woods

PREVIOUS PAGE

“No,” Elys said, “I’d make sure he didn’t. Even if he wanted to. He doesn’t know he could become a member.”

“I don’t know if I should count on my teenage daughter to control a teenage boy,” her dad said.
“Really?” Elys asked.
“I…” He faltered, “I’ll get his name cleared. One step at a time. But I’ll do it after dinner.”
“Ok,” Elys said cheerfully, “Thanks!”
If Dave would have been there he would have been offended that he was behind dinner in terms of priority. He’d say something about not getting enough respect or something. He might even claim that they didn’t really want to help him in their stupid club. But if he’d have been there, he probably would have mostly felt safer. Well, he would have, after their conversation.
Instead he was in an abandoned house in the woods that was provided to him by a race of psychic cannibal women who at one time had ruled medieval Europe.
When Dave awoke it was light out. He didn’t turn his phone on because he was afraid that the police could track it with crime science. That nagging feeling returned when he saw movement in the woods below. He was at the window looking down. He didn’t remember walking there. The forest was actually pretty cool looking this early in the morning, he guessed.
When the movement turned out to be Elys he relaxed. He went downstairs, surprised at how friendly the house felt. The two upstairs doors were still locked but he figured it didn’t really matter. He might be leaving soon. He was hungry. He wanted to get some food.
Elys was empty handed but Dave thought it wasn’t too unlikely that she might head back out and grab him something. He didn’t want to resort to eating the cat food if he could help it. Although he did have an undeniable urge to give it a taste.
The first floor was just as empty as ever. Elys entered before Dave reached the front door.
“Hey,” he said.
“Hey,” she said. She was wearing make-up. Dave didn’t think she’d been wearing any the night before.
It looked nice. “So,” he started to say.
“So my dad said he’d maybe do something today,” Elys said, “And he promised to let you join us after everything cooled down.”
“Really?” Dave asked, not having any way to know that Elys was lying just a bit, “I mean, I’m still not sure I want to join.”
“You have to join, Dave,” she said, “I already told him you wanted to.”
“Why did you tell him that?”
“Because I figured it would make him more likely to let you join,” Elys said, “And anyway, you’ll need to if you want to deal with the incisors. Us Bricklayers are the descendants of the Stonehengers. So we’re the only organization that stands any real chance against them.”
“If the Bricklayers are the only organization that stands any chance,” Dave said, “What are the other three kids clubs for grown ups doing, not being dead right now?”
“Whatever,” Elys said, “That’s maybe not important. Maybe what is important, is you staying here until my dad tells me it’s safe for you to come back.”
“What is he going to tell the police?” Dave asked, “Just to ignore this one kid who killed another kid? I don’t think so. I can’t see how any amount of money would make police ignore a murder like we did last night.”
“It’s not like we pay them off,” Elys said, “Maybe you just wouldn’t understand.”
“Sure,” Dave said, “Ok.”
“Thanks for being conciliatory,” Elys said.
“Hah hah,” Dave said, “Hey, quick question, how did you find me?”

NEXT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment