“How shitty of you,”
Elys said, “I can’t believe you’d talk to her after I warned you. Literally,
hours ago, I told you she was bad. And you’ve already decided to ignore me.
Well. Fine. See if I care. You go into your maybe stupid house in the woods. If
you get eaten by incisors it’s your own damn fault.”
“Incisors?”
“Yeah that’s what Bira is,” Elys
said, “They’re not human.”
“I thought that was like,” Dave
said, “Fake teeth. And Halloween-y face paint or something… But… Not human? So
she really is psychic?”
“What?” Elys asked.
“She was, like, reading my mind,”
Dave said, “Fuck.”
“Yeah,” Elys said, “They do that.”
“This house in the woods is starting
to sound like an awful idea,” Dave said, “Maybe I should crash at your place. Whiskey
is starting to sound like a ridiculously good idea. Like. Ridiculously.” Dave had never drank to make him forget something,
and he wasn’t sure it would actually work. Sounded like a good idea though. As
far as he could tell, drinking to make you not feel anything was practically
the second most useful purpose of alcohol. “Can we still do that?”
Sirens happened so it didn’t matter
what Elys’ answer was.
Dave ran. Elys followed for a while.
Seeing as he didn’t know where the house was, Dave cut a path clear into the
woods. He turned left and right every now and then, hoping to obscure his trail
for any pursuing cops. But he was pretty sure it wouldn’t work. He kept looking
over his shoulder and seeing Elys there, keeping up. She wasn’t even out of
breath like he was.
The only thing that kept Dave going
for as long as he had was adrenaline. And the only thing that stopped him was a
root that stuck up out of the ground about five inches that was hidden under a
pile of leaves.
Elys helped him up afterwards. In
the dark, Dave caught his breath, trying to listen for sirens. Elys stayed
silent. Though they didn’t hear any more, and they were far into the woods,
Elys still said, “I’m going to be a lot quieter and safer if I move alone.”
“You’re going to abandon me?” Dave
asked, “Cool. I’m fine with that.” He really wasn’t.
“Sarcastic dickshitting aside,” Elys
said, “The house is probably safe. If Bira is showing interest in you, it
probably means the incisors have plans for you. Probably means… well… I’m
guessing it means that Kyle was part of their plans. Goddamn witches have their
hands in everything.”
“They’re witches now?”
“And vampires and werewolves too,”
Elys said, “They spread rumors to hide their own activity. Some incisors played
to different mythological legends to suit their purposes. Once witches and the
like were played up, incisors found it easier to stay low. Especially during
the reign of the Stonehengers.”
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment