“A
shade?” Robb asked.
“There is so much we are going to have to
tell you,” Fuchsia said, “And so much of it is going to sound fake at first
that you aren’t going to believe a single darn thing.”
“That’s alright,” Robb said, “I’m pretty
sure if I can believe I might be a messiah then I can believe a lot of other
things too. Although maybe I can’t believe any of it.”
“Quit looking so lost and follow me,”
Crimson shouted. He’d walked a ways, and was about halfway past the pool. His
voice was enough for everyone to notice that there was a stranger in their
midst. They all turned and looked at Robb for a good few seconds.
The blue haired kid’s warning about everyone
taking one look at Robb and rejecting him came back. He tried desperately to
look like he knew what he was doing. He ended up looking at the floor and
walking after Crimson to avoid meeting anyone’s stares.
Good
try, Robb
thought.
Past the fountain was a door that led to a
stairwell. The stairwell had the same blue and red divide, and as they followed
it down, it turned from blue to red and back to blue again. “What will it mean
if I’m flawed?” Robb asked.
“It means,” Crimson said, “That you won’t be
allowed membership. I can’t really say why. Greys who are wrong have never been allowed to join. Only the Elders know why.
Good luck asking our Elder about why or why not. He’s never told anyone who has
asked.”
“It has something to do with a prophecy,”
Fuschia said, “I heard that from my dad.”
“I think we’ve all heard things like that,”
Crimson said, “But there’s no point in debating it. It’s probably because
flawed Greys would taint the bloodline.”
“But if flawed Greys turn up randomly, how
would they make any difference in the bloodline?” Robb asked, “I mean, from
what I know about genetics…” He stopped himself and laughed. Robb couldn’t
remember shit about genetics.
“Don’t worry about it,” Crimson said, “We’re
almost to the Elders’ rooms.”
They’d passed a few doors on the way down,
but they finally arrived at the bottom. Here, there were two doors. One was red
and one was blue. Crimson turned the handle to the red door and entered.
Robb was left alone with Fuchsia in the
hallway.
“I can’t go in,” she said, “But you can.
Since we don’t know yet.”
“Oh,” Robb said, “Wish me luck. Please.”
She laughed.
She kept on laughing
until after he’d shut the door. Although he thought he still heard her even
after then.NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment