July 20, 2012

Chapter Fourteen Page Nine, Will, The Prestige Household



“Hey,” Dani said.

            Will looked up from his phone. “Hey.” He was wondering what this was all about. He was wondering what he was doing, sitting down, at the kitchen table. He couldn’t remember if he’d been planning on doing something. He was pretty sure it wasn’t someone mind controlling him. He was pretty sure he’d just completely zoned out for awhile.
            “So,” Dani said. She set her backpack down in the chair across from Will and started pulling out a notebook, “How was school?”
            “School was fine,” he said, “It was a little weird. I mean. About Kyle. And how people… Don’t really seem to care.”
            “It’s like…” Dani said, “I don’t really know?”
            “That’s an awful way to explain it,” Will said, “But yeah.”
            Dani opened her notebook and pulled out a handful of papers. She set them on the kitchen table.
            “Homework?” Will asked.
            Dani nodded. She elbowed her backpack off the chair and sat down with a pen in her hand.
            “Really?”
            “Yeah,” Dani said, “Like, why not?”
            “This is very much…” Will scratched the side of his face, “Not like you.”
            “Last night I was thinking,” she said, “Why put off the homework until later? It’s not like it actually, like, make it last any shorter. I just kept thinking today about how tired I am at school because I stay up so late doing homework.”
            “But you’ll just stay up on the computer tonight, or watch a movie or something,” he said, “Or any of the other things you do when you don’t have homework that you have procrastinated on.”
            “I guess,” she said, “I feel like being all, like, proactive or whatever.”
            Will narrowed his eyes.
            “What?” She asked.
            “I’m onto you.”
            “Oh… kay,” she said, “Uhm, since this is already an uncomfortable kitchen table chat, I wanted to ask if there was any legendary equipment I could borrow? For Friday night and maybe tomorrow?”
            “What do you want to borrow?” Will asked. He decided he’d humor her. See where it went.
            “You have that one awesome Tibetan dagger-knife, I was thinking I could use that, and,” she appeared thoughtful, “there’s like an invisibility cloak I think you have.”
            “I knew it,” he said, “You’re going to do something stupid again.”
            “Wow really?” Dani asked, “I survived the last stupid thing I did. I don’t need you trying to look out for me.”
            “What would you need a dagger and an invisibility cloak for?”
            “Self-defense,” Dani said, “And also not getting seen.”
            Will sighed.
            Dani mock sighed.
            Will scowled.

NEXT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment