“Strifepalms?”
“They have the gift of martial ability. You
can’t hope to beat a Strifepalm in a one-on-one, at least, on conventional
ground. They’re born gifted. You have to outwit them… or cheat somehow.”
“Cheat?” Dave asked, “Like, how?”
“Like, shoot them,” she said, “Or set them
on fire, or drown them, just don’t engage them in fair combat. They’ll always
win.”
“Right,” Dave said, “You said I could just
shoot them?”
“Yeah,” Elys said, “With, maybe, a gun.
Bullets.”
“Oh,” he said.
“Most Bricklayers carry guns now,” Elys
said, “So we can stay prepared. They’re pretty good against Grays too. Maybe you
should think about getting one.”
“Just as soon as you let me know if I can go
home now,” Dave said.
“Sorry,” Elys said, “I’ll head back and talk
to him as soon as I can. My dad, I mean.”
“Ok, well,” Dave said, “Could you get some
food?”
“Food?” Elys said, “Oh shit, yeah, you
probably don’t have any here. The incisors didn’t bring any?”
“Nope,” Dave said, “I mean, there’s some cat
food. I think it’s supposed to be a joke.”
“Maybe it isn’t,” Elys said, “It can be hard
to tell with them. They don’t eat the same food as us.”
“What do
they eat?” Dave asked.
“People,” Elys said, “Although, maybe, I
think there’s something else they eat too. I just don’t know what it is.
Otherwise I’d be surprised no one knew about them.”
“That’s really unsettling,” Dave said, “I
really don’t want to be in their house, then.”
“I’ll talk to my dad as soon as I can, then,” Elys said, “And let you know
what he decides.”
“Cool,” Dave said, “Maybe let me know as
soon as you can when I can get home.”
“I will,” Elys said, “Maybe you can turn
your phone on so I can just fucking call you instead of walking all the way out
here.”
“Well I’m kind of hoping you’ll make the
trip again so I can get some food,” Dave said.
It was at this point that the story shifted
suddenly to focus on Neil. Came right out of the blue. No one knew why it
happened, and frankly, it isn’t super important to the plot to explain exactly how this shift occurred. Could be there
was some ancient prophetess who predicted the narration would call for a change
of perspective. (Could be this is all a load of shit, I mean really, who cares,
these shifts in narration usually occur without explanation.)
Maybe Neil’s just been out of the spotlight
for too long. One could be curious as to how he spent his Sunday, as every
other major character has been covered. At least, every major character other
than Robb and Asta. So maybe that statement was false. It’s possible there is
even another major character that hasn’t been covered. Can you guess who they
are?
To clarify; Rob spent his day sleeping or
ferrying his sister from store to store. They have a healthy enough
relationship, but they hardly see each other except when his sister needs a
ride. I don’t really know why I’m telling you this. It’s possible the story is
about to jump around a bit, get going a little bit faster, and maybe I want to
make sure you’re prepared for some summaries of events that might previously
have been elaborated on in greater detail. Suffice it to say that nothing will
be left out that is crucial.
You’ll get the story you came for.
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment