“So,”
Dave said, “I’m going to go hide in a house in the woods. It seems like a great
idea to me right now.”
“Wow, really?” Elys asked, “That has
to be one of the fucking, stupidest… fucking plans I’ve ever heard.”
“You said fucking twice,” Dave said, “And why? I’m sure cops have some
serious future tech they’re going to employ that would place me as the
murderer. I mean I’m pretty much completely screwed over. That’s it. I’m done.”
“Maybe you’re way overreacting,”
Elys said, “I’ll tell my dad to smooth things over with the police. It’s not
even a big deal. See? It’s better now.”
“I’m
covered in blood,” Dave said, “Are you sure if someone sees us sneaking
back to your house while I’m covered in blood, they won’t call the cops? I mean
I’m sure your dad has clout with the constables and all but fuck look at all of this blood. This
isn’t going to wash off of my skin. I mean my clothes. Fuck.”
“Calm the fuck down,” Elys said.
“I mean for chrissake,” Dave said,
“I just killed a guy.” He made a noise that was halfway between a cough and a
gag. He didn’t know why it’d taken until just then for him to realize how awful
his evening had been. “I saw him in school,” Dave said, “I drank with the guy.
Did shots with him. What the fuck did you make me do?”
“Dave,” she said. She put a hand on
his shoulder.
He scooted across on the grass,
“Don’t fucking touch me.”
“What?”
“You shouldn’t get any blood on
you,” Dave said, “It’d be bad if both of us were covered.” He was pretty sure
he was also feeling like he didn’t want her touching him at all, but he didn’t
want her thinking that he was losing it.
“Ok,” Elys said, “Whatever. We can
talk about this later though. My dad knows more about it. He told me you get
used to it after a while. Killing a man, I mean.”
“Yeah I know what you meant,” Dave
said.
“So, follow me back to my house,”
Elys said, “We’ll find a dark corner for you to hide in. And some whiskey. I
think you’ll deal pretty well, don’t you?”
“I think I’ll go hide in that house
in the woods,” Dave said, “If I’m lucky it will be haunted by ghosts and
vampires and girls with sharp teeth and maybe they’ll kill me or something.”
“Should I not be leaving you by
yourself?” Elys said, “Like some kind of fuck-up on the suicide watch at the
hospital?”
“No,” Dave said, “Those were jokes
that were supposed to make you feel better but now you’ve just gone and fucking
blown it out of proportion.” Dave looked to the woods, “That seems as good a
place as any to start looking for it. I’m going to set out and try my hardest
to find this stupid house.”
“You’re going to go looking for a
house, and you don’t know where it is?”
“Yeah,” Dave said.
“Oh, you mentioned the girl with the
sharp teeth,” Elys said, “You’re talking about Bira Sharpdusk there. She told
you to go into the woods, didn’t she?”
“Wow you’re totally getting paranoid
here,” Dave said, “I only deal with one psychopathic teenager a night and you,
baby, you’re the one for me.” He tried to get a cigarette out from his pocket
but it fumbled in his fingers and fell onto the grass.
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment