“Where were you?”
Dave had to admit that he’d been
expecting relief. Not anger. “I was out,” he said, “I don’t know.”
“You don’t know?” Dave’s mother asked, “David, you were gone for two and
a half days, are you trying to tell us you don’t know where you were? It’s
ridiculous!”
“I’m sorry,” Dave said, “I was
going… camping.”
“Camping?” Dave’s mother asked, “On
a schoolday? Do you really expect us to believe that?”
“Yeah,” Dave said, “I mean, that’s…
uhm… that’s what happened.”
“I don’t believe that for a second,”
she said.
“Dad, come on,” Dave said.
“I’m not siding with you on this,”
he said, “Your mother is much better at expressing herself than I am. I don’t
know if I have ever been this angry with you before. You could have sent us a
text message, at least, instead of leaving us worried sick for two nights.”
“And that’s not all,” Dave’s mother
said, “When we called the cops to report you were missing, they told us they
were looking for you. Because they think you murdered Kyle Avem. How do you explain that?”
“I don’t know,” Dave said, looking
down at his feet, “I guess it’s because… I went missing when he died.”
“They didn’t know you were missing
until we called,” she said, “And then
we had to let them come over here and search your room for clues. Do you know
what that’s like? To have police tear your house apart?”
“I cleaned all day today,” Dave’s
father said, “That is the only reason everything
isn’t a mess right now. But we didn’t want to hold them back from searching.”
He rubbed his head, “Because not even we were sure.”
“I’m sorry,” Dave said, “It wasn’t
a… I mean… It won’t happen again.”
“We’ve always given you room to
breathe in the past, but it might be time we restricted you… somewhat,” Dave’s
father said, “I’m sure you will understand if I say I am not sure how much we
can trust you anymore. Will we ever get a straight answer about what you did in
the last two days? It’s clear you were outside. You’re dirty. Did you even
shower?”
“I haven’t had a chance,” Dave said,
“I will now.”
“Quickly,” Dave’s mother said, “And
then straight to your room.”
Dave walked out. He showered and
brushed his teeth and went to sleep. He dreamed of death and awoke in a cold
sweat.
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment