The
second night was worse than the first.
The house seemed to be offended that Dave
attempted to stay within it. The slightest breeze set the whole thing to
creaking and groaning, and occasionally elicited sounds that were uncomfortably
similar to footsteps. Occasionally, a harsh enough wind would generate a sound
that made Dave think of how Kyle Avem had sounded when he’d died, and Dave
would lie awake for the next ten minutes, staring at the ceiling. Some of the
sounds even seemed to be coming from the room next to his.
Dave figured that if he hadn’t
recently killed someone, nothing would have bothered him. Dave enjoyed scary film, but only with other
people, so he could see how afraid they became while he remained perfectly
calm. Dave thought this house was no different from a scary movie, and wished
he didn’t have a recent murder on his hands.
He wrestled with this for a time. He
checked his phone a few times, and the last time he saw it, he discovered it
was past midnight.
“Ok,” he said, staring at the
ceiling, his hands over his chest, “Kyle Avem was a reprehensible jackass. If
you didn’t get him, he was going to go drunk driving and hurt someone. Or
something worse.”
He wished he wasn’t so alone. He
felt cold. He coughed. He tried to feel better about being alone and cold. He
fell asleep and dreamed about a castle in flames and maniacal laughter from
within.
“Dave!” Someone shouted.
“No,” Dave said. He thought he was still
dreaming.
“Maybe think about waking up!”
Dave opened his eyes. Elys was standing next
to the bed. “Oh,” he said, “Hey.”
“I brought you food,” she said, dropping two
grocery bags down, “It’ll all from my house, so you better feel grateful.”
“Thanks,” he said, “I will, eventually.” He
sat upright and looked around. The earliest hint of morning light shone in
through the windows. He checked his phone and saw it was six forty in the
morning, “Don’t you have school?”
“In a half hour,” Elys said, “But I can make
it. I found some shortcuts to get here. You’re really not that far away from my
house. It maybe only took me fifteen minutes to walk here this time.”
“Oh,” Dave said, “That’s good?”
“Not really,” Elys said, “My dad said he
hasn’t heard back from the police yet. Could be they’ll come looking anyway.
But if they don’t, I’ll come and let you know.”
“My phone is on now,” Dave said.
“Turn it off until… Well… Until it starts to
get dark,” she said.
“I thought you told me to keep it turned
on?” Dave asked.
“Yeah, for yesterday. But it’s not a long
walk anymore. And anyway, maybe you should think about conserving battery
power.”
“Yeah,” Dave said, looking down at his
phone. It was half dead. “I’m going to die,
not knowing what time it is.”
“Tough luck,” Elys said, “I’ll come by after
school. If I don’t think she’ll flip her shit, I’ll tell Dani and bring her
along.”
“Really?”
“Yeah,” Elys said, “She didn’t like Kyle
Avem very much either, so maybe she’ll want to congratulate you or something.”
“If she’s anything like me,” Dave said,
“She’s not going to be very happy. Don’t you think you should keep our…
activities… secret? I don’t want kids overhearing and getting ideas.”
“If you insist,” Elys said, “Anyway, I am
going to get going. Try to not die of boredom, maybe?”
“No promises.”
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment