June 27, 2012

Bira, The Warehouse on North Street


Bira didn’t risk sticking around to hear their conversation. She didn’t know how long she could keep up the fade. She backtracked past the reluctant hero’s house and then went for the warehouse. She hadn’t had a chance to grab the briefcase yet. It was almost midnight.
She stayed faded as she passed through Downtown, staying clear of anyone who might bump into her and give her away. She’d gotten very good at sidestepping and spinning out of peoples’ paths. An incisor had to.
Bira entered the warehouse, locked the door behind her, and let out a deep breath. Her head was starting to hurt from all the psychic strain. Guiding the reluctant hero had been difficult. Bira had had to do it remotely while she kept an eye on activity by the Ember Cave. Multitasking was something that humans literally couldn’t do, but Bira had found that her race possessed a limited capacity to run two thoughts in tandem. Bira had been warned that it was dangerous to do it for too long; sometimes personalities fractured, didn’t want to get put back together.
Cornelia lost her mind for that reason. Bira reminded herself to keep it simple for the next few days unless things got even more out of control. She looked at the center of the warehouse, at the desk with the briefcase on it, and then peered into the darkness behind it.
“Hey, I got your stupid relic of ancient evil,” Bira said, “Think you could let me do my own thing here for a while now?”
“You were reckless today.”
“I know,” Bira said, “You suddenly asked that I start caring an awful lot about a bunch of useless humans. You do know that Will Prestige isn’t even in any of the societies? He’s practically a non-entity. I had to force him to get out of his house.”
“You could have gotten his sister to do it.”
“But she’s too adorable,” Bira said, “I don’t want to put her in harm’s way. Will’s a grouch. A stupid grouch who doesn’t care about anything.”
“Will is going to be a threat.”
“Yeah,” Bira said, “Probably because you are steadily trying to turn him into one. What was so important about that stupid Crown anyway? I thought it was a null artifact.”
“The one you grabbed is.”
“I grabbed a decoy?” Bira asked, “Nice. I didn’t even guess. Or care.”
“The Bricklayers didn’t know either. The real one is still in the cave. But stealing it has made the Bricklayers believe the cave is useless to them. It will make it easier for David Proctor to get inside and take the real one.”
“Oh,” Bira said, “So, there is a real one.”
“Yes.”
“What does it do?” She asked.
“You’ll find out. You’re going to help Proctor acquire it, along with his friends. I suggest you familiarize yourself with he and everyone he will enlist for this mission.”
“Really?” Bira asked, “This is something you should assign to Grote. She has no experience. And I think she’d get along fabulously.”
“Grote, as you said, has no experience.”
“I’d be better here,” Bira said, “I was doing a great job until you showed up.”
“You will do what we tell you to do.
“I’ll do I want, mom,” Bira said.
Silence.
“And right now I guess what I want to do is help these stupid kids get their stupid crown. Why do you even want David to get it?”
“It’s Lynn’s prophecy that her grandson must steal the Crown.”
“Why don’t we do something other than just follow her prophecies,” Bira said.
“You’re too young to question it. Too young and too ignorant.”
“Owie.”
Bira glimpsed the flash of eyes in the dark opening, the barest glint of teeth between lips.
“You’re doing the smile thing now?” Bira asked, “Come on it’s not even scary.”
Except she wasn’t smiling. Bira realized it was a little scary.
Mom stepped back into the dark. Bira was alone again.

NEXT CHAPTER

No comments:

Post a Comment