June 12, 2012

Chapter Five Page Eleven, Bren, Uptown



She was thinking about how the two assassins probably hadn’t been expected to kill her. She realized that possession of the gauntlet was more important than her death. Any of the societies would benefit from it. So the assassins had only meant to incapacitate her. It made her feel a little bad about Serenetizing them.

            Her first step should be to find the orderly who took the gauntlet. Someone who likely didn’t work there, but had somehow convinced everyone he did.
            So as soon as she’d stepped outside and began to reorient herself within the Uptown of Falling Rocks, she turned around and headed back inside.
            She walked back upstairs to the floor she’d woken on and found the break room for the staff. There was a sign on the door that instructed non-hospital staff to stay out, but she didn’t think she’d be inside very long. She swung open the door and looked inside.
            There was a doctor on the phone by the window, and a female nurse on the couch, watching the television. Both looked over at Bren, but only the female nurse said anything, “Can I help you?” She sounded bored.
            “I’m looking for Charlie Variety,” Bren said, “Could you tell me where I could find him?”
            “He’s on break in fifteen minutes,” the female nurse said, “He’s going on after I get off.”
            “Well, you wouldn’t happen to know where my belongings would have been taken, would you? Something of mine is missing.”
            The nurse sighed, “Ask at the reception desk on this floor, they’ll be able to help you.” Her tone said, I’m on break right now, I shouldn’t have to deal with you.
            “Thank you,” Bren said. She turned and headed towards the desk following the yellow strip on the floor that proclaimed RECEPTION DESK, in white font. She found it after a minute; the strip had led into an unfinished ward, and she’d had to found a detour which cost her some time.
            When Bren stepped up to the desk, the receptionist looked away at first, and then back with surprise, “You’re the dead woman?”
            Bren nodded, smiled, “Yeah, I’m looking for something. Something I came in with but I don’t have now.”
            “The glove thing?”
            “That’s what my nurse called it,” Bren said, “He said someone took it away for some reason?”
            “They said it was suspected to have chemicals on it,” the receptionist said, “I don’t really get why.”
            “You wouldn’t happen to know where they took it?”
            “No,” the staff said, “But I know who took it. A guy I’ve never seen before. Said his name was Mort.”
            “Mort?” Bren asked.
            “Yeah,” the staff said.
            “Did you see where Mort went?”
            “Downstairs, probably.”
“What did Mort look like?” Bren asked.
“He had black hair and a beard. Thin face. I think he was Hispanic or maybe, uh, Arabic,” the receptionist said, “Or, both?”
            “I’ll ask around,” Bren said, “Thanks for your help.”
            “I hope you find your glove thingy!”
            Bren went around the hospital, asking questions. She got lost another time and ended up asking a few questions on how to get unlost. But most of her questions concerned mort. Most people had no idea who she was talking about, but a few did.
One man on the second floor, a patient with gauze wrapped around his entire left arm, said he saw a man with a nametag of Mort walking around, holding the gauntlet in one hand almost carelessly. On the first floor, a janitor said they’d seen Mort carrying a box, with the gauntlet on top.
            One doctor claimed to have seen him walking out the back of the hospital with the gauntlet equipped; the box was not mentioned. “Looked like he was going somewhere in a hurry,” the doctor said finally. The doctor was an old man whom looked more than old enough to retire. Bren wondered why he hadn’t but didn’t think to ask.
            “Thank you,” she said.
            Bren had no idea what she was supposed to do next. There was a whole town out there, a population of at least a hundred thousand or more.
One of them had her gauntlet. At least the nurse, Charlie Variety, had been kind enough to leave her the phone, wallet, keys, and gum she’d come in with. She placed a strip between her teeth and started chewing.

NEXT CHAPTER

No comments:

Post a Comment