June 29, 2012

Chapter Eleven Page Ten, Dani and Mary, Falling Rocks


“She was the only one who spoke to us while we were here,” Mary said, “Other than this one girl, I mean.”

“Oh,” Will said, “I’m sorry your dad is missing and you can’t do anything about it.”
“It’s ok, Will,” Mary said, “Thanks for wanting to try, I guess.”
“Uh, yeah, no problem Mary,” he said, “So was that your bike out there?”
Mary nodded.
“That’s how you got here so fast.”
Mary nodded.
“Figures,” he said, “I drove here, but I had to find this here legendary blade first.” He patted the scabbard, “Your bike probably won’t fit in the back seat though.”
“I’ll ride it!” Dani said with too much enthusiasm for everyone present.
“I can ride it,” Mary said, “I’m fine.” She rose up, refusing Dani’s hand when it was offered.
Dani drew it back with an accusing stare, “Ok, sheesh, no need to get all retirement-home-dodging-grandpa on me.”
“I wasn’t trying to,” Mary said, “But that would have been a great thing to say if I was.” They walked out together to Will’s car.
“Call me if you need help,” Dani said, “Or if you want to, like, talk.” She paused. “Or if you want to stay over at our house until your dad shows up.”
“I’ll be alright,” Mary said, “Seeya tomorrow at school.”
“Seeya,” Dani said.
Dani and Will drove off, and Mary started cycling homeward.
Dani and Will got home first whereupon they silently separated to their rooms. They both went on their computers for a few hours before going to sleep. Dani awoke around midnight and remembered her homework.
Mary parked her bike in the garage, and walked in through the back door of the house. Bed time was what was on her mind. She didn’t want anything more to do with secret societies, fanged Mothers in the dark, or goddamn useless reluctant heroes who showed up late. She had a headache and she was sure that it mostly came from worry, but she wanted to think that a good night’s rest would solve it. All of this was running through her head as she opened the closet door by the garage.
She heard footsteps in the kitchen as she hung up her coat.

NEXT CHAPTER

No comments:

Post a Comment