June 23, 2012

Chapter Nine Page Five, Dave and Elys, Elys' House


“Kind of like you don’t know exactly what you mean,” he said, “Like you’re spouting some doctrine you’ve been hearing for a long time. Do you ever question what the Witch’s means are?”

“It’s important to question the things you learn,” Elys said, surprising Dave, “I’ve studied the teachings and I know that my father doesn’t follow them. He says he does. But he’s allowing members to use guns. He’s letting members get away with brutish methods. And he’s allowed Ember Horrors into our ranks.”
“Ember Horrors?” Dave asked.
“Awful things,” Elys said, “I’m not sure what they are but they’re unclean. I think they might actually be evil, and I say that despite the Phrenic Witchseer’s distaste for such black and white terms.”
“I heard they’re guarding the Crown,” Dave said, “Speaking of, if I was a member, do you think they’d let me access it?”
“I don’t know,” Elys said, “Maybe. I’m not sure how important the Crown is. My dad didn’t want to talk to me about it. He said there are things that he can’t tell me about. Like I’m not responsible enough to know or something.”
“I was told that the Candle Crown is a conduit for great power,” Dave said, “Or at least, it makes one power hungry. I assume that it provides the means to supply this power.”
“Who told you that?” Elys asked, “A fortune teller somewhere.”
“Uh,” Dave said, “Some girl. I didn’t see her face.”
“What was her name?” Elys asked, “Or did she not give it to you?”
“She gave me a name that sounded like it came from a lame fantasy novel,” he said, “Sharpdusk.”
“Bira Sharpdusk,” Elys said, “I know her. She’s an incisor. Don’t trust her.”
“Why not?” Dave asked, “She was like some kind of magic detective girl or something.”
“Just don’t do what she says,” Elys said, “Maybe believe me when I say she’s not acting in your best interest.”
“Ok,” Dave said, “I wish you’d explain more but I guess you’re going to be all cryptic until I join your Stonelayers or whatever.”
“Bricklayers,” Elys said.
“I know,” he said, “It was a joke.” He was still holding the bomb. He was unsure of whether or not he was actually responsible enough to hold something that had such power.
“A bad joke,” she said.
“Yeah.”
“So, the bomb,” Elys said, taking it back from him. “It’ll go off when he turns on his car.”
“You made a car bomb?” Dave asked, “That’s not what I was expecting or hoping for. I thought we’d set it off in such a way that… like… no one would get hurt. Just his car would get jacked up.”
“Yeah,” she said, “He won’t be injured. I couldn’t think of a detonation method I liked better though. This way he might even think he somehow caused the damage. There’ll be nothing left of the bomb once it goes off. So all he’ll see is a broken engine. It’ll be perfect. Almost.”
“Almost?” Dave asked.
“You saw the damage,” she said, “Nothing short of his death would make what he did alright.”
“It’s just a statue,” Dave said, “It’s not like he—”
“What do you love, Dave?” Elys asked, “What is there that you love?”
“I don’t know, I—”
“Imagine that you entrusted what you loved to someone who said they loved it too. And instead of protecting it, they cut its throat and left it for you to find. That is what this was.”
“You trusted him with the statue?” Dave asked.
“He was over last night,” she said, “Keeping me company. And I fell asleep. Because I didn’t think he’d do anything.”
“He’s an asshole,” Dave said, “Why would you think he wouldn’t do anything.”
“I fucked up,” Elys said, “Ok? I maybe slipped up for once and now I’ll make sure I never do it again.”
“Shit,” he said, “I’m sorry.”
“Good,” she said.
“You wanna go somewhere and get some coffee first?”

NEXT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment