“You have nothing to fear,” the woman said,
“Unless you refuse this task.”
“I’ll do it,” Dani said.
Mary was reluctant to agree. She kept
thinking of the teeth. And the eyes. She wasn’t sure what it was about them,
but something had seemed wrong.
“Girl?”
Mary knew the woman was addressing her. “Y-Y-Yeah,”
she said. It was with great effort but she actually managed to spit the word
out. The next thing she tried to say caught in her throat.
“You are right to assume that there will be
difficulties with going into the Ember Cave,” the woman said, in reply to
Mary’s unspoken question, “We have asked one of our own to go with you, on the
night of the theft, to accompany you and tender assistance.”
“It’s me they’re talking about,” a girl’s
voice said, “Bira Sharpdusk.”
“Bira Sharpdusk?” Dani asked.
“What
did I just say?”
“Do you have any questions?” The woman
asked.
“About what?” Dani asked.
Mary realized she had a question. She spoke
before the woman could. “Do you have anything to do with my dad being missing?”
Mary asked.
“Your dad’s… missing?” Dani asked, “Why didn’t
you say anything?”
“He hasn’t been home,” Mary said, “And he
hasn’t replied to any of my texts.”
“How long has he been gone for?” Dani asked.
Mary wondered why the woman had let them
talk for so long. “Since Friday night.”
“Wow,” Dani said, “I mean that’s not really
that long of a time. I was saying wow sarcastically.”
“I caught that,” Mary said.
“Maybe he’s, like, super busy?” Dani asked.
“Can we just let… uh…” Mary said, “Hello?
Lady?” She looked for the eyes in the dark.
“I’m still here,” the woman said, as Mary
located her. Mary could swear she had moved. “And you can call me Mother.”
“It’s
her title,” the girl named Bira said in a critical tone, “She’s not saying
she’s your mom. That was such a stupid thought for you to have just now.”
“Ok,” Mary said. She paused.
“We have nothing to do with your father’s
disappearance,” the Mother said, “And I have no wish to lead you on a hunt that
may interfere with your dedication to the mission. But I do know where your
father is. I can tell you that your concern is warranted. But no harm should
come to him, provided you do not pursue him.”
“Where is he?” Mary asked.
“She just said she wouldn’t tell you,” Bira
Sharpdusk said.
“In a basement, held against his will,” the
Mother said, “His captors are watching. I believe they intend to kill him if a
rescue is attempted.”
“So I shouldn’t go after him?” Mary asked.
In the dark, Mary watched the eyes lower and
raise. Mary knew the Mother had to have nodded.
“What if it’s just to see him?”
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment