“What?”
Asta asked.
“It’s a good show you’ve all put on,” he
said, “Would either of you be able to escort this young girl home? So that she
may dream she is a… a… seer?”
“Why would we be fooling her?” Dani asked,
“If she’s in on it she would know what we were doing. She’d think she was a fraud.
I don’t know how you think that would make her feel, like, encouraged, or
whatever.”
“I feel I’ve said all that can be said,” Dr.
Cook said. He turned his head to look towards Asta and fixed her with a stare,
“Call your other friend. Tell him the meeting on Tuesday will no longer be
happening. It’s clear you won’t be taking any of this seriously.”
“Do I have to keep taking my medication?”
She asked.
“No,” he said finally, “If the shakes
worsen, you may need to. But perhaps, as you say, they are a side effect of the
anti-psychotics. I’m sure you just read that somewhere, though.”
Yeah, Asta thought, I did just a few minutes ago, and every
other session we’ve had when I brought them up.
“So, we need to go,” Bren said, “It looks
like we are back on the path. Thanks, Asta.”
“Hell yes,” Dani said, “I can’t wait to find
that gauntlet. Like, when you were asking all of those people, I couldn’t help
but think there was a better way to find it. Turns out we just needed to find a
psychic. Hey, Asta, what am I thinking about right now?”
Asta focused. There was a small room, a
tenement. A man in a sweatstained t-shirt stood in the corner, clutching a
carving knife. The smell of blood hung in the air. “Uh,” Asta said, “I don’t…
This is…”
The image faded, “I was just thinking about
my dad,” Dani said, “I was just saying the word dad over and over again in my head. What did you see?”
“I don’t know if I should say it,” Asta
said, “Maybe later?”
Dani’s features screwed up, and she walked
out.
“I think we ought to take you home,” Bren
said, “I’ll look for the gauntlet tomorrow. We know who has it, so that should
make it easier to find.”
“Alright,” Asta said.
“I’ll see you next weekend,” Dr. Cook said,
“Try to stay safe.”
“I will,” Asta said, “Could you call my
parents soon?”
“As soon as I get a moment,” he said, “I’ll
give them a call.”
“Thank you,” she said. She walked out. Dani
stood by the sidewalk, on the edge of the street.
Bren walked up before Asta could muster the
courage to tell Dani what she’d seen, “This way. We have to get into Downtown.
That’s where I’m parked.”
“Ok,” Asta said. The impulse faded as she
followed Bren; she’d tell Dani some other time, when she thought Dani would be
prepared. She wasn’t sure what it really meant, but Asta felt that Dani knew
what Asta had seen and it’d really been a test. A test to see if Asta could
keep her mouth shut.
“So how come I never see you around school,”
Dani said, “You’re like a shadow. I think I saw you once last month. For a
fleeting moment. I could have sworn it was a daydream. Or a real dream. I might
have been asleep.”
“I don’t know,” Asta said.
“It was a joke,” Dani said, “We don’t have
any classes together I think. Our paths probably just don’t cross.”
“Yeah,” Asta said.
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment