Will
waited until Dani had left for her jog before heading into the basement. He
liked how dusty the basement was, despite the fact that it was totally finished.
There were cracks in the walls from practice.
There
was a row of power tools on one wall, paintings on another, a series of work
benches on the third. The fourth wall was kept bare. There was a tan carpet on
the floor, and two sofas arranged in no particular order in the room.
The paintings were all landscapes, except
surrealist. The sky in each of them was ripped and torn. One’s first impression
was that where the blue was ripped, one would see stars, as though it were a
night sky. But Will had been told that it was just void there, a nothingness, a
scar from some great war waged millennia ago, subjectively.
Will sat down on one of the couches, and
closed his eyes.
It was cool and quiet in the basement. A
perfect environment for a perfect nap.
His alarm clock went off. He opened
his eyes. It was his phone. A text message awaited him.
so I FUCKED UP
BIG TIME and they grabbed the Diplomat last night and I’m going to need your
help
He squinted. I think you have the wrong number. I don’t know what you’re
talking about.
no, you’re the BIG HERO I know all about you
He put the phone away. He called upstairs, “Dani!
Setting up one of your friends to text me with a stupid mission has got to be
the lamest prank you’ve ever unsuccessfully pulled!”
When Dani didn’t reply he remembered
that she was out on a jog. He stood up and walked back upstairs. His desire for
a nap had faded entirely.
Will went up to his room and started up his
computer. He had a particularly intense desire to play Men in Black: The Reckoning until such a time as his sister
returned, so that he could yell at her.
oh you think
you can just IGNORE THESE TEXTS well just wait until tonight and see what good
it does you
He groaned, Oh noooooooooooooooo what’s going to happen tonight? (In case
you can’t tell, that’s sarcasm I’m using right there.)
I’m going to come over to YOUR HOUSE and knock on YOUR DOOR and YOU better be the one that answers... or you can help me out
If you knew me
at all,
Will typed, You’d know I don’t give a
shit about my “heroic duties”. Mostly because they don’t exist. Who is this?
He
didn’t get a reply right away. He figured he’d put down whoever it was that had
been bothering him. He turned his attention back to MiB:TR, and executed a
sweet double noisy cricket on a couple of pasty faced alien pizza delivery guys
and then his phone started ringing.
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment