“I
only have one sister,” he said, “That invalid information proves you
have the wrong number.”
“Whoops, spoilers, your parents had
another girl before you but she lives somewhere far off and she has more
important stuff to do than deal with you,” the girl said, “I’m surprised at how
indifferent you are to the prospect of me murdering your whole family.”
“I’m indifferent because…” he said,
“You keep saying things to try to make it sound like you’ve got all the answers
and know a lot of stuff I don’t. But I don’t care. You’re some little girl who
probably just needs help finding her lost dog, and you’re trying to get me
interested by turning it into a quest. Stop reading lame fantasy books and deal
with being absolutely normal.”
“Sigh,” she said.
Will couldn’t believe she’d actually
said the word. He laughed.
“Listen
guy,” she said, “I’m going to have to hang up soon. I have to go make sure
a man dies tonight. There’s a briefcase by the place where the Grays hang out.
I know you know about them, don’t play dumb. Grab that briefcase, lose anyone
following you, and take it to the warehouse I keep telling you to go to. If you
can do that before midnight, I won’t
eat your family. Ok? Thanks. That’s cool. Talk to you later. Hopefully at my
place, not yours.”
She hung up. “Finally,” Will said,
“I was wondering when she’d shut up.”
Feeling confident that his day was
finally over, he put on his shoes and walked out the door. He had a sudden
inescapable urge to go to the mall. He pulled out his phone and texted his mom.
Going to the mall I guess I mean why not I don’t
even know why.
Ok son, have
fun.
He walked up through Downtown, at a
pace just below a jog. He passed a few hundred people and tried to not look at
them. He crossed the bridge and stopped. He didn’t know why he’d gone so far.
He didn’t even want to go to the mall. What was he going to do there? He didn’t
know of any of his friends being there. He started walking again, though this
time, at a much slower pace. He was a little out of breath. He sent a mass text
to Dave, Adam, and Cara, Anyone wanna hang out at the
mall today? I got the weirdest urge to go there right now.
I’m busy was what he got from Cara, nigh instantaneously. He was
alright with that. He didn’t think she’d wanna go anyway. She was probably
painting. Adam texted back with CANT BRO parents makin today
spring cleanin MAN. SPRING. CLEANIN. in winter ITS SO DUMB BRO, and Dave just
neglected to say anything after five minutes. If Dave didn’t reply in five
minutes, Will believed it was unlikely Dave ever intended to send a reply.
And yet, Will couldn’t shake the
urge to go to the mall. He knew some people who worked there, but couldn’t
recall anything other than their faces. He supposed he could go in, and say hi
or something. He didn’t ever have similar inescapable urges to do that, but
today was just such a cool day so why not.
He got there a few minutes later and
entered via the north entrance.NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment