June 28, 2012

Chapter Eleven Page Four, Dani, The Warehouse on North Street

PREVIOUS PAGE

The room grew colder.

Dani was holding her switchblade, spinning around. She didn’t see anyone. She could swear it had gotten darker by a few degrees of whatever measure of light there were.
“Hey,” she said, “I’m not afraid of whoever you are. This is just a stupid warehouse.”
She thought it grew darker again. She looked up and saw that clouds were moving in. Her breath stilled. The temperature continued to drop.
Ok, time to go, no reason to stay here, she thought. She took a step towards the door. But if this place really is, like, dangerous, it means Will was probably telling the truth. And there’s no way he was telling the truth.
She turned and faced the desk. She put her switchblade away. She placed her hands on the desk. It was cool to the touch. Things grew darker again.
Nope nope noooope, she thought, You’re imagining things. There’s probably some psychological term for what’s going on. I should ask mom about it when I get home.
She heard something, a rustling, like leaves across a road. It was unmistakably behind her.
There has to be some syndrome of freaking yourself out, progressively, more and more, she thought.
A warm jet of air landed on the back of her neck. Someone exhaling.
This is completely ridiculous, she thought, I’ll just turn… And…
She twisted on her feet looked behind her.
There was nothing there.
But she was aware of horror tropes. It was when the character looked back that they’d actually see the monster. That was the real danger.
Come on, nothing could have gotten there in the three seconds I’ve turned around, she thought, I just need to reverse myself, and I’ll be looking at a desk with nothing on it. Not a monster. Not a ghost or anything either. Just a desk, alone, by itself, in a warehouse that keeps getting colder. The light level diminished. And darker.
She twisted back.
And.
There.

No comments:

Post a Comment