June 23, 2012

Chapter Nine Page Four, Dave and Elys, Elys' House



“The bomb,” she said, picking up the package, “And my staff.”

“Staff?” Dave asked.
She handed him the bomb. He supposed he shouldn’t have been surprised at how light it was. She picked the rod up off the table and twisted it in her hands. The ends shot out and it extended to her height, “I saw it at a convention my father took me to. I said I wanted it and he said it would suit me well.”
“How strong is it?” Dave asked, “I mean if it’s collapsible maybe you shouldn’t go around hitting people a whole lot.”
“I practice with it daily,” she said, tilting her head towards the punching bags, “I’m getting good.”
“Have you actually dueled someone with it though?” Dave asked.
“What do you think?” She asked. A smile formed on one side of her lips that Dave thought made her look like a lame supervillain from a comic book.
“I think you probably have,” he said, “I figured I’d ask anyway.”
She picked up the blade from the table, and Dave saw that it had an indent on the side of it that allowed it to fit cleanly on the end of the staff.
“Is that why the bag was full of holes?” He asked.
“Yeah,” she said, “I wanted to make sure it would stay on if I got busy with it.” She waved the point in the air in front of his face and he flinched and stepped back. She giggled.
“Ok,” he said, “Try to tune down the axe-crazy while I’m here, yeah?”
“That’s fine,” she said, “By the way, why’d you come over so early?” She collapsed the rod, and Dave saw that the point remained on the edge.
“I didn’t have anything to do,” Dave said, “Figured I’d come over and see if you wanted to do anything, beforehand.”
She crossed her arms and sighed.
“Not like that,” he said, “Just, watch a show or catch up or something.”
“Not a whole lot to catch up on that you’re allowed to know,” she said, “If you joined, though, we’d have plenty to catch up on. I’ve been a busy girl.”
“I’m not sure they’d let me in though,” Dave said, “It’s not like I have a lineage or anything.”
“We’re more accepting of new members,” she said, “We don’t follow the policies of the others anymore. Because of it, we’re expanding. Soon we’ll be on top, if by numbers alone.”
“It’s not much of a secret society if you let everyone join,” Dave said.
“We don’t,” Elys said in a rough tone, “You’d have to prove yourself. Do something for the good of the Bricklayers to show you’d be committed and worthy.”
“Like what?” Dave asked, “Build a house somewhere?”
“Nevermind,” she said, “I don’t know why I bother trying to recruit you.”
“I don’t know,” he said, “I guess the Bricklayers sound cool but I don’t really know what you guys are all about.”
“I’ve told you about the Phrenic Witchseer,” she said, “And how we work towards her means. You would be helping us maintain dominance over the other three societies. The way it is supposed to be.”
“Yeah you’ve said all that before,” he said, “But it all sounds… Kind of like…”
“Like what?” She asked.

NEXT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment