June 27, 2012

Chapter Ten Page Seven, Will, Uptown



“Can you spare like ten minutes and do something for me?”

            “Dude, no, I literally can’t,” he said, “My parents are riding me so fucking hard right now.”
            “That’s…” Will considered telling Adam how gross what he had just said was and then decided it wasn’t worth the effort, “Oh, whatever, listen, I need to come by your house. And then I need you to give me a ride Downtown.”
            “You live, like, five minutes from Downtown, dude, why don’t you just walk?”
            “Because,” Will said, “It’s complicated and I can’t explain right now. I just need someone to give me a ride because people are following me on foot.” Will looked over his shoulder and saw them following. The boy had his hands in his pockets, slouching enormously, staring at the sidewalk. The girl didn’t bother hiding the fact that they were following him; she was staring right at Will.
            “Ok, listen, I’ll do this favor for you if you help me clean first,” Adam said, “I’ve got so much shit to organize and I can’t get on it on my own. You feeling me? You feeling me as hard as I’m feeling me, bro?”
            “Yeah,” Will said, “You don’t… even…” But Adam never understood.
            “I don’t even what, dude?”
            “Nothing,” Will said, “I’ll be there in a little bit. Quit feeling yourself.”
            “Gross, bro,” Adam said, “Seeya in a few.”
            “Seeya,” Will said, and hung up. He turned around. They were a little closer than before. They didn’t stop when he stopped, and kept walking.
            As they approached, the boy looked up and said, “Hey, since you know we’re following you, and you’re not stopping, can we just cut the shit and have you tell us where you’re planning on taking that?”
            “Whatever do you mean?” Will asked.
            The girl laughed.
            “I mean just tell us where you’re taking that so we can go on with our lives. You told us you’re not in with the Bricklayers, so we know you must be with the Strifepalms,” he said. He shook his head, “It’s common sense.”
            “Or I could have been lying,” Will said.
            “I don’t know,” he said, “Fuchsia got you going pretty good there.”
            “Was that the other girl?” Will asked.
            “Yeah,” he said, “Way to go, you fucking genius.”
            “We’re getting a bit hostile here,” Will said, “No need for it. I’m heading to a friend’s house to help him clean his room. And then I’m going to walk all the merry way down to the Memorial Center and drop this off.”
            The crimson haired kid smiled, “That wasn’t too hard, was it?”
            The girl laughed again, “He just said he could have been lying. I think we was letting us know he isn’t going to be telling the truth, Rust.”
            “Oh?” Rust said, looking back at Will.
            “I already told you I’m lying,” Will said, “But I could be lying about lying too. In any case, nah, I’m not going to tell you where I’m going. I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing. You guys can keep being total failures. I mean you weren’t even trying to pretend like you weren’t following me. Do you guys even know how to tail someone?”
            “He’s got a point,” Rust said. He glanced at the girl.
            “Don’t look at me,” she said, no longer smiling, “You were leading the way.”
            “I gotta go,” Will said, “You can keep following me if you want. I gotta help my bro clean his room, because apparently he’s four years old and incapable of doing that himself.”
            “You friends with a little kid?” Rust asked.
            “Yeah sure,” Will said, “Seeya around. His house I mean. Seeya around his house. I’ll wave to you when I’m leaving so you guys can start following me again.”


NEXT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment