June 16, 2012

Chapter Seven Page One, Dani and Will, Dani's House



Dani awoke at eight in the morning and couldn’t fall back asleep, so at eight thirty she rose, showered, dressed, and decided to finally go downstairs and ask about breakfast.

            Will was seated at the table, eating from a bowl of cereal. “You know what there is for breakfast?” Dani asked.
Will pointed at the box of cereal and gave her a look. That’s it, his expression implied, That’s breakfast.
            “But we have pancake mix” Dani asked, “I could make pancakes and we could eat them and everything would be beautiful forever.”
            He shook his head.
            “But pancakes are going to make you super big and strong and not afraid of evil.”
            “Cool,” he said.
            “It was a lie,” Dani said, “Pancakes make you fat. But so do sugary cereals, you pig. Is that your fifth bowl?”
            “It’s my seventeenth, to celebrate my seventeen years of life,” Will said, “You can just go ahead and leave me alone.”
            “It’s not your birthday today,” Dani said, “Also, pass me that shit. I’ve got a hunger with, like, a wicked reckoning.”
            “No,” he said, extending a careful hand to push the box of cereal across the table towards her.
            “Thanks dude,” she said. She placed emphasis on the word dude to show she was being insincere about calling him dude.
            “No prob, Bob,” he said in reply.
            “You couldn’t have gotten me a bowl?” Dani asked, walking to the cabinet. “You are such an incredibly awful person. I can’t believe someone hasn’t murdered you over your unpleasantness.”
He sneered at her. “Hey, just, by the way. Have I ever told you that you are literally the ugliest living thing I have ever seen?”
            “Your vicious barbs fall short,” Dani said, “I’m a butterfly and there is literally nothing you can say that will make me believe differently.”
            “You’re so stupid,” he said, “But hey, wanna get breakfast somewhere?”
            “That’s a good idea,” Dani said, “Where were you thinking?”
            “Something that is fast food-ish,” he said, “I want to be so fat that when judgment day comes I can just overwhelm them with my corpulent power.”
            “There is no such thing as, like, corpulent power,” Dani said.
            “But seriously you wanna grab a hamburger or what?”
            “Yeah that sounds pretty good,” she said. She didn’t bother pouring herself a bowl of cereal. She grabbed a glass instead and filled it with milk while Will finished his. “What are your plans for today?”
            “I don’t know I was thinking of getting fast food at some awful place where the food is so greasy with my equally greasy sister,” he said, “But I think she already knows about that.”
            “I meant other than getting tubby on tubs of tubby…”
            “You can’t be going anywhere cool with that joke just stop already.”
            “I meant other than getting fast food, what are you doing other than that?”
            “Moping around,” he said.
            “At least you’re, like, being honest,” she said.
            “I try.”
            “You wanna do something cooler than mope around? Like, go into an infinite tunnel with me today?”


NEXT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment