June 5, 2012

Chapter Five Page One, Bren and Frank, In a car headed Downtown



“It’s just this house with a red door and a big lock on it,” Frank said, turning down the radio volume, “And no one’s ever been inside of it.”
            “Someone’s been inside of it,” Bren said, “People don’t just build houses for no one to live in.” Also, no one would build a house entirely from the outside. It also seemed pointless to just build a house from the outside and not put anything inside of it. Bren supposed there could just be walls, a roof, and a big red door, and nothing inside, but that was so purposelessly intricate that she simply could not believe it.
            She’d been inside one of the other houses at one time too. And at least from the outside, the houses were identical. So she knew there was something inside of the one Frank talked about too. “I mean, no one recently has been inside of it,” Frank said.
            “Do you know about the Red Keys?” Bren asked.
            “Some kind of society, right? Like, a secret society like the Illuminati or something. Except I heard they were into weird stuff.”
            “That’s a really juvenile way of describing it,” Bren said, “They were more like a group of explorers who believed they’d discovered pathways to another world that could be entered by going underground.”
            “Weird,” Frank said, “I’m guessing you’re going to tell me they built the house I’m talking about?”
            “Right-o,” Bren said.
            They were in Frank’s car, headed to Downtown because Frank had asked Bren out on a date and Bren had said, “Sure”, before she’d realized it was a date. They were going to head to a restaurant that Frank said served the best pizza ever. “How do you know that?” Frank asked.
            “I just know a bit of local history,” Bren said, “I grew up around here.”
            “Oh yeah, that’s right, you told me that already,” Frank said, “I keep forgetting. You don’t have the accent at all.”
            “Yeah I didn’t spend a lot of my time around the kids around here,” Bren said.
            “Were you home schooled or something?” Frank asked.
            “What would you say if I was?”
            “Nothing,” Frank said, “I mean, I don’t fucking know.”
            “I wasn’t homeschooled; I went to public school like everyone else. I just didn’t talk much to anyone,” Bren said, “I was a quiet little dove.” Dove was a semi facetious term, Bren knew, but her mother had called her that often enough.
            “Shy kid?”
            “Yeah,” Bren said, “I had a lot of imaginary friends growing up.” Some of them weren’t imaginary though. She’d had a lot of friends her parents had thought were imaginary but weren’t at all.
            “I did too,” Frank said, “I guess I was pretty shy growing up. I didn’t keep a lot of friends in High School. I guess we have that in common.”
            “That how you’re so popular now?” Bren asked.
            Frank chuckled, “I don’t know how I got to be so popular. But it’s nice. I don’t really care though.” He was trying to sound like a cool dude. Bren didn’t think he was really succeeding. She didn’t know why he was so nervous.
            “Where’s this pizza place?” Bren asked.
            “Right around here,” Frank said, “Although seeing as you grew up here I thought you’d know.”
            “Yeah,” Bren said, “I was worried this was the place you were going to suggest.”
            “What’s wrong with it?” Frank asked, “I mean if you wanna go somewhere else…”  “We’re already here,” Bren said, “I’m cool with it.”

NEXT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment