She
saw it was from Bren.
Long story
short I’m in Falling Rocks for the afternoon trying to track down Hopeful
Serenity.
Bren sent, I got jumped last night by a
couple of thugs and some guy took it from me. Do you want me to help look?
Hopeful
Serenity? Of course I’ll help, Dani typed, it sounds like an adventure :) where are you?
About a block
east of the hospital, but I’m a’goin north right now. Meet me by the Brick
Center.
I will be there!!!!! Dani replied. She
grabbed a jacket, which came prepared with everything an up and coming adventurer-slash-rogue
extraordinaire could ever hope to have in one jacket. The jacket itself was
very military looking, with straps on the shoulders where Dani guessed
something was supposed to go but never did. Dani had found it at a garage sale
three years ago and had felt really cool growing into it the way she had. She
even looked at herself in the mirror and made a tough face, which mostly
consisted of angling her face down and looking up at the mirror ala Alex
DeLarge, the slightest grin to suggest that things were about to get running
like the krooviest of kroovies.
She wasn’t sure if she was using the
term kroovy appropriately. She often fantasized about going on a midnight
slaying with Alex and his droogs. In a totally joking sort of way, of course.
She didn’t actually want to go around
killing people. Stabbing someone with a knife seemed weird.
She got to her front door before realizing
that she had quite the walk ahead of her. She dialed Bren and held the phone up
to her ear.
Riiiiing,
riiiiing, riiii “Dani?”
“Yeah, so, like, I don’t have a
car,” she said, “Any chance you could grab me from my house?”
“I’m a bit away from my car,” Bren
said, “And I really don’t want to lose track of this guy I’m hunting.”
“That sucks,” Dani said, “Any chance
your trail is headed, like, Downtownwards?”
“I don’t know yet,” Bren said,
“Isn’t there a bus?”
“I’ll look,” Dani said, “I’ll try to
find, like, someone who can give me a ride. I’ll let ya know.”
“Thanks,” Bren said, “So for now I’m
not going to be waiting around the Brick Center, then. This perp is headed…
Actually, looks like he might be headed Downtown.”
“You got a…” Dani said.
“A what?”
Dani paused for dramatic effect.
“A… visual?”
“Yeah I was going to say that and
then put sunglasses on,” she said, “Do you see who it is?”
“No,” Bren said, “I’ve been
following hunches this entire afternoon.”
“That’s fun,” Dani said, “But
really?”
“This fellow leaves a path that’s
easy to follow,” Bren said, “As in, people tend to know the person I’m talking
about. He’s wearing a leather gauntlet so it makes him easy to identify. I
don’t know why he’s being so open about it. Doesn’t he know I’ll be looking?”
“Maybe this guy is really stupid,”
Dani said, “Didn’t you say it was some kind of thug? A goon, maybe?”
“No,” she said, “I’d know if it was
a goon.”
“As opposed to a thug?”
“A human thug or a thuggish goon?”
“There’s a difference?”
“Yeah,” Bren said, “I’ll explain
later. There’s this old guy I’m going to ask. He’s sitting on his porch. It
looks like he’s been out here awhile. You get on finding a ride. Or maybe just
head Downtown. Look for a man with black hair and a beard, wearing a leather
gauntlet with... I mean, I’ve showed you Hopeful Serenity before, so I don’t
know why I’d need to describe it to you.”
“Gotcha,” Dani said, “I’ll cut
across Downtown and call you when I get to Gebirr or if I see anyone
suspicious. Let me know if it’s looking like he’s changed direction.”
“Yeah, seeya,” Bren said, and then, boop, the phone line went out.
No comments:
Post a Comment