June 5, 2012

Chapter Five Page Three, Bren and Frank, Otto's Pizza Place or The Pizzaria



“Really?” Frank said, “How do you know about them?”

            “From living around here long enough, you just find out over time,” she said, “Sooner or later you find out that all four community centers in town are off limits to people who aren’t members of their respective clubs.”
            “Weird,” Frank said, “There isn’t an unaffiliated community center?”
            “There was,” Bren said, “But it burned down.”
            Frank laughed because he thought it’d been a joke.
            Bren smiled. She was pretty sure a member of the Grays had burned it down, thinking it was being used by the Scanners.
            “I guess we should go looking later tonight,” Frank said, “Visit each one and, ha ha, unravel the mystery.” He waved his fingers in the air, imitating a magician.
            “I think that’d be a fine way to get ourselves killed,” Bren said.
            Frank laughed again. He’d only been threatened once in his life, by a bear in the woods, but he’d been armed with his father’s shotgun and he’d had the spirit of bloodlust running through his body. He didn’t understand that there were things that you were supposed to be afraid of in the world. And he had ulterior motives too.
            “I was being serious just now,” Bren said, “I can tell you where they are but I won’t be coming along with you.”
            “How’ll you get back to the college?” Frank asked.
            “A taxi or something,” Bren said. She could see the look on his face. It was a stubborn look. “Are you really going to go visit each one now?”
            “It sounds like a dare,” Frank said, “You’re pretty much daring me to do this. It’s like Bloody Mary, right? Except with community centers.”
            “Except Bloody Mary isn’t a real thing,” Bren said. She was starting to feel guilty, “Look, don’t do it, alright?” She hated getting guilty consciences about things.
            Frank smiled, “Oh I’m definitely going to do it now. Why will I get killed if I do it?”
            “Because they’ll take offense to a non-member going to each place.” Bren said, “I don’t know. Just they get suspicious really easy, especially here. There’s like a turf war between them. The police used to get involved a lot but I think one of the societies bought them out.”
            “They sound like gangs,” Frank said, “Like organized crime.”
            “They kind of are like that,” Bren said, “Except the only crimes they commit are against each other and stupid people who tempt fate. I’m serious, Frank, you’ll get killed.”
            “If you’re so against it I guess I won’t do it,” Frank said, “It still sounds like it’d be fun.”
            “I really don’t think you believe me,” Bren said.
            “I believe that they’ll notice if we do it and maybe they’ll even come after us,” Frank said, “But I can handle myself in a fight. I’ve had people try to mug me like four times and I’ve never lost a single fight.”


NEXT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment