June 9, 2012

Chapter Five Page Six, Bren, Falling Rocks



Bren walked the route that took her into Downtown, where the Strifepalms had constructed The K.G. Community Center. They never told non-members what the K.G. stood for, but the other societies knew enough to deduce what it truly stood for. Bren didn’t bother knocking on the door, she walked on past. She knew she’d have gotten their attention by now, but she was relatively sure the Strifepalms had more important things to worry about. They had to know who she was, and had to know that she wasn’t going to be bothering them.

            Frank must have been using a map on his phone to trace the path; Bren couldn’t see how else he’d know a way to get between all four buildings. The Bricklayers headquarters was next; located on the other side of the river. She’d have to walk across the bridge. She hated the idea, knew that it’d be a perfect area for her to get ambushed, should the Strifepalms have seen her pass by first the Memorial Center and then the K.G. Center. But she continued across it without incident. A construction worker gave her a wicked eye as she passed him, but Bren didn’t look up at him. She was pretty sure he was a sentry for one of the four. If disguises were anything to go by; a Bricklayer.
            The Bricklayers, not being fans of subtlety, made their building out of brick. It was the reddest brick that Bren had ever seen, of course. Masterfully done; it was the work of craftsmen. Many who visited had told Bren how perfect it looked.
Most just called it the Brick Center. Most everyone in the town knew who they were, but most assumed they had more to do with masonry than the worship of another of the four heroes. If they knew about the heroes at all.
            Bren didn’t wander too close; she caught a glimpse of Frank near the front entrance. He had his phone out and was holding it at arm’s length in front of him. The kid was taking a picture of himself standing in front of the building, grinning sheepishly.
            There’s an emotion, halfway between fear and pity. That was what Bren was feeling. “Frank!” She shouted.
            Frank looked up at her, a smile on his face that quickly withered as soon as he recognized who’d called his name. “Bren?” He shouted back.
            Bren looked both ways and crossed the street, “I told you not to do this,” she said, “I bet it’s probably too late now to stop whatever you’ve got coming, but maybe I can get you back to my car alright.”
            “What do you mean?” Frank said, “I’ve been to three of these so far and I haven’t gotten jumped or anything. Bren, I think you might be overreacting about all of this.”
            “I talked to the… I already cleared up your situation with one of the societies. But you have two after you now probably. There’s no way they don’t think you’re up to something. I hope you didn’t knock on any of the doors.”
            “I knocked on…” Frank trailed off.
            “How many?”
            “All of the doors,” he said finally.
            “Frank, you kind of just proper fucked yourself,” Bren said.
            “You sound real fucking sure of that,” Frank said.
            “Yeah, I am,” Bren said. She figured it was about time to tell him, since the kid was dead anyway, “I’ve had dealings with all of the societies at one time or another. Because of who I am.”

NEXT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment