“What
do you mean?”
“You remember how I told you about
the Red Keys? They were the first of the societies to come to this area,” Bren
sighed. She looked around and didn’t see anyone, “You wanna head to the last
one?”
“You’re freaking me out, Bren,”
Frank said.
“Let’s go,” Bren said. She walked
away from the Brick Center, three or four paces, and turned to see that Frank
was frozen. She walked back and grabbed his hand with her left hand and pulled,
“Come on.”
He followed reluctantly, “What
happened to the Red Keys?”
“I’m not sure,” Bren said, “But I’m
the last one of them. Or at least, my parents were, and now that they’re dead,
I’m the last Red Key.”
“Your parents are dead?” Frank
asked, “I thought you said they were just always busy and on vacations and
stuff.”
“I lied,” Bren said, “People always
act like having dead parents is the worst thing that can happen to you.”
“Oh,” Frank said, “So how do you
know you’re a member of the Red Keys? Did your parents tell you before they…
died?”
“I found out,” Bren said, “Because I
entered one of the three red doors.”
“Really?”
“Yeah,” Bren said, “Why would I be
lying to you now?”
“I don’t know,” Frank said, “Am I
really going to die?”
“I don’t know for sure,” Bren said,
“But you don’t have the protection of any of the societies. I’m the only person
looking out for you, but I’m not going to pretend like I can keep you from them
if they want you.”
“Can we go see one of the houses
with the big red doors, instead?” Frank asked, “I guess now that you’ve
mentioned them, I’m kind of interested to see what’s inside.”
“I guess we could,” Bren said, “But
are you sure you don’t want to go to the Grey’s headquarters first? Just to see
them?”
“Their headquarters?”
“The community center they run,”
Bren said, “You know what I mean.”
“Well, honestly, if I’m going to
die, I kind of want to see one of those big red buildings. The one you went
inside.”
“I can’t let you inside of it,” Bren
said, “I lost the key.”
“Really?” Frank said.
Not really, but Bren nodded anyway.
“Ok, I guess… I want to see the
Grey’s center next. And then we can head back to the college, if nothing else,”
he said, “Maybe they’ll figure out what I was doing out here. That I was just
trying to win a bet.” They started off, with Bren leading now.
“I never bet you anything,” Bren
said, “But… yeah. They might figure out it was a juvenile kind of thing. The
only problem is that most people don’t know where all four of the locations
are. They know that I know. I’m wondering now if they’re going to come after me
too.”
“Damn,” Frank said, “Why didn’t you think
of that?”
“I did think about it,” Bren said, “I didn’t want some punk getting
lost out here and killed. I guess that’s why I came after you.”
“Some punk?” Frank asked. They
turned into an alleyway that would take them to the Gray’s center fastest. Bren
had used it a few times before to get through town quickly, when she’d been
growing up.
“Yeah, just some guy from college
getting lost and killed because I let slip that there were four community
centers, and that it was sort of a thing that people did, to go to each one and
try not to die. Like some twisted kids game where you actually get killed by
goons at the end.”
“Oh,” Frank said, “You weren’t
coming here to save me. You were coming here to keep your conscience clear.”
“That’s pretty much right, yeah.”
“That’s almost… selfish. I guess
that makes this a lot easier for me to do,” Frank said.
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment