“Yeah,
so?” She said, “You just figure that out? I mean it’s pretty flipping obvious
isn’t it?” She was referring to their clothing, which was exclusively gray. Will
looked at the ripples in the water. He realized that they hadn’t been pointing
at the ripples so much as causing
them.
“Wow,” he said, “I’m feeling really
stupid right now.”
“What’s your name, kid?” She asked,
“This girl do something to freak up your head?”
“Will,” he said, “And I don’t know.
Listen, if I just grab that briefcase I think she’ll stop doing it.”
The others were paying attention
now. There were four of them, all together, two guys and two girls. There was
another boy dressed similar to her, even had the same color of dyed hair. The
other guy and girl only differed in that their hair was dyed crimson. The
crimson haired boy said, “You mixing with Bricklayers? This girl some
Bricklayer whose getting in your skull?”
“Bricklayers don’t run that gambit,”
the blue haired boy said, “New management, I hear.”
“I don’t know why they’d give up
their mind games,” the crimson haired boy said, “It’s the only thing that gives
‘em any personality. Just a bunch of blue collar stiffs, otherwise.”
“Look,” the blue haired girl said,
“What my friend was trying to say, is that maybe you’ve got yourself wrapped up
in some Bricklayer oder Strifepalm
thing. I overheard that the Bricklayers kidnapped the Diplomat and are holding
him ransom.”
“It’s a powerplay,” the crimson
haired boy said, “They’re trying to see if the Strifepalms are going to try to
get him back.”
“Look,” Will said, “I don’t really
care about that. I just wanna grab that briefcase and deliver it, and be done
with this.”
“Ok Will,” the blue haired girl
said. She grabbed the briefcase and lifted it up to him.
He grabbed it, and she let go just
long enough to grab his hand. Her grip was cold, and he realized she’d frozen
her hand to his. She pulled him close, whispered in his ear.
“Let me know if you need some help,
yeah?” she said, “Or if this girl don’t leave you alone.” Her breath was icy
too.
“Thanks?” He said.
“Don’t mention it.”
When she’d let go, and Will had
stepped back, he saw the blue haired boy handing him a slip of paper. “It’s her
number,” he said, “I thought she’d want me to give it to you, seeing as she’s
interested in you or whatever.” The
crimson haired girl was smiling warmly at him.
“Ha ha,” Will said, “That’s cool.”
The blue haired girl winked.
Will turned and left. Something
hadn’t struck him particularly well about that encounter. When he walked
through the doors to leave, he looked over his shoulder and saw all four of
them staring at him. He waved with his free hand and walked out. He pulled out
his phone, tried to find the number of the girl that’d called him, and it
started ringing. He answered it.
No comments:
Post a Comment