Mary
checked the clock and rose. She rifled through the scrambled thoughts of the
previous night, trying to sort them into coherent piles. She remembered that
Neil had left. She grabbed her phone and thought about texting him, hey, or something. She had a mild
hangover. She scolded herself for not having more water before going to sleep,
instead of scolding herself for having had as much alcohol as she had.
She walked out of her room. She
couldn’t remember if Hana had left or not. She looked in the living room, and
then in the driveway. Hana was nowhere to be found. She sighed in relief. She
checked to see how much she had to clean up. But there wasn’t anything she
could find. They’d only used three glasses the entire night, and Hana seemed to
have taken whatever was left of the handle they’d been drinking out of.
Mary took aspirin, grabbed a glass
of water, and sat down in front of the television. She watched a few shows. She
checked her phone again and saw nothing. She shrugged and typed hey
and sent it to Neil.
Hey arrived thirty
seconds later, in reply.
How’re you
feeling?
I’m doing alright. You?
I’m ok, Mary
texted back. She wasn’t sure what else to say.
When it was three in the afternoon
she did some homework.
She wondered when dinner would be, and sent
a text to her dad. When will you be back?
She finished her homework around four and
saw that she hadn’t gotten a reply from her dad yet. She went on her computer.
She checked an image aggregation site. She browsed the photography for a few
hours, focusing mostly on images of deserts for a time.
Around four thirty she resent her last text
to her dad. She wasn’t sure if he’d gotten it or not.
Dani awoke around ten and went for a run.
She passed by Mary’s house, Neil’s house, and Dave’s house, before returning to
her own. She showered. Around two, she found Will in the kitchen.
“Hey, chicken face,” she said.
“Hey, you’re alive. That’s cool. I’m glad
she didn’t come and eat you guys,” he said, “I did something right.”
“Give it a rest,” Dani said. She had no time
for Will pretending to have done something good. “What are you doing today?”
She asked, “Wait, don’t answer that. I already know the answer.”
“Oh yeah?” He asked.
“Doing nothing and making up stupid
stories,” she said.
“Oh, burn,
or whatever,” he said, “I’m starting to really regret saving your life.”
“Bring it, guy,” she said, “You and me,
let’s have a fight. Like the pugilist gods of yore.”
“That’s dumb,” Will said, “Also I’d totally
annihilate you. Mom and dad have never given you any training, have they?”
“No,” Dani said. It bothered her immensely.
She knew it was part of their continued efforts to train Will to be the hero
that would save the world from the apocalypse, but Dani still thought it was
stupid. “So, seriously, are you doing anything today?”
“No,” Will said, “I’m exhausted from being a
hero.”
“Ha-ha,” Dani said, “I’m really getting
anxious about this day coming up. It feels like there’s nothing to do today.”
“Right,” Will said, “If you wanna do
something stupid, you can always head down to the warehouse on North Street,
Downtown, and start asking about briefcases.”
“Ok,” Dani said, “Is that related to that
stupid story you made up?”
“It’s related to that story that I didn’t
make up because it was real and actually happened,” he said.
“Neat, I’ll go check it out, right now, just
let me get ready real quick and I’ll be going down there and asking about
briefcases and girls who want to eat people.”
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment