She knew he thought she wouldn’t do it. But
Dani was feeling like putting off her homework. She grabbed her shoes and her
jacket and headed out the door.
The weather was, like, kind of bad. There was
a heavy overcast and clouds that threatened rain. The wind brought a sharp
chill that cut through the thin fabric of her jacket. She didn’t pass anyone.
She considered texting Elys again but figured Elys was just going to say that
going to a warehouse Downtown was the boringest
thing you could possibly do on a Sunday. Besides, Dani thought, didn’t Elys do
her religious stuff on Sundays? The rituals and things?
Mary was probably going to be hung over from
that party she’d had. Dani didn’t want to bother her.
Will caught up with her as she approached
the warehouse. He was out of breath. “Wow,” he said, “Are you in a hurry to get
eaten by psychic girls?”
“You caught me,” Dani said, “Also that
sounds really lame. Were you on the drugs
yesterday?”
“No,” Will said, “Come on, Dani, I’m being
serious, you really shouldn’t go in there.”
“You said earlier you regretted saving me,”
Dani said, “So I’m just going to go ahead and go in there. And maybe your
regret will be reversed.”
“I’m sorry I said that, Dani,” Will said.
His earnest tone surprised her.
“I’m not mad about that,” Dani said, “I’m
never mad about the things you think I’m mad about.”
“What is it, then?” He asked her. They were
standing outside of the front of the place. People were walking by
occasionally, giving them looks. “What are you mad about?”
“I’m not mad,” Dani said. It was a lie. She
realized she really was mad. She
didn’t even know when she’d started being mad. Sometime after she’d talked to
Will, maybe.
“Of course you’re not,” Will said, “Is it
about mom and dad again? About how they don’t ever train you to do anything?”
“I don’t know,” Dani said, “Maybe I should
be, that they treat me like I’m adopted and like I’m not going to be as good as
you. Like, they expect so little of me but still push me. I, like, hate it. I
hate that they train you and leave me alone. I’d definitely like some training!
Maybe I could be the hero too, maybe you’re not going to be the hero and, like,
they’re wrong.”
“If I could trade places with you,” Will
said, his tone wistful.
“Would you? That’s what I hate about you, Will. You get, like, the coolest
future career and you treat it like a joke. Like, who doesn’t want to be a
hero? You go on adventures and be the person that everyone looks up to. You
think it’s cool to be all, like, look at me, I’m the reluctant hero. We both
know it’s just a mask. You’re just putting it on so you can pretend to have
some emotional breakthrough at the last minute and come through and make
everything ok.”
“I’m not putting a mask,” Will said, “Do you
really believe what mom and dad say?”
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment