June 15, 2012

Chapter Six Page Nine, Mary, Neil and Hana, Mary's House



“Thank you so much,” Mary said. She’d already noticed, or at least had heard him and had assumed it was Neil rather than a home invader. She turned around, “Did you hear… everything?”

            “Yeah,” Neil said, “It’s… fine.”
            “Fine?” Mary asked, “Are you ok?”
            “Why wouldn’t I be?” Neil asked.
            “Weren’t you like, into me?” Mary asked, “Aren’t you, I mean?”
            “Maybe, but,” he said, “I can handle it?”
            “Why say it like it’s a question?” Hana said, “Say it like a statement.”
            “Hana could you go to the other room,” Mary said, turning to face Hana. Hana threw up her hands and walked back into the living room.
            “I gotta pee,” Neil said, “Is it ok if I go in the woods?”
            “Do you want me to leave you alone for a second?” Mary asked.
            “I just gotta pee,” Neil said.
            “You just went to the bathroom.”
            “I gotta pee again because that is how I get when I’ve been drinking, I have to pee all the time, and anyway I’m just going to go now and pee outside because I feel like doing it. Ok?”
            Mary wasn’t sure if Neil sounded irritated or tired. She nodded, “Fine, if that’s where you gotta pee I guess you gotta pee outside.”
            “I’ll come back inside or whatever when I’m done peeing ok?”
            “Pee to your heart’s content,” Mary said.
            Neil stormed out.
            Mary felt a little confused. She stood in the kitchen long enough for her to realize she hadn’t been doing anything for awhile.
            Hana walked back in, “Are you ok?”
            “I feel like tonight wasn’t a good night to tell him…” Mary said, “I feel like I should have waited awhile to make sure he wasn’t like, emotionally traumatized from getting beaten up. Should I feel sorry or worried or whatever?”
            “That’s up to you,” Hana said, “I don’t know. But, he’s been gone awhile. Maybe we should check up on him. I mean, if you don’t think that’s weird, to go outside when he might be peeing. Maybe he got lost? That isn’t a joke, I mean, because he’s drunk. Maybe he thought he saw something.”
            “He’s headed for the tunnel, isn’t he?” Mary asked. She walked out, headed through the dining room too quickly for it to be described in any detail, and out the back door.
Hana followed closely behind, “The what?” She’d asked that immediately after Mary had said it, but she asked it again now that they were outside.
“Dani and I found a tunnel,” Mary said, “It was miles long on the inside, but more miles on the outside.”
“That doesn’t even make… the least, littlest, at all, not really any, kind of sense, but ok,” Hana said.

NEXT PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment