The
warehouse was empty, but only the middle row of lights were on. There was just
darkness on either side. As Will stepped to the center of the lights, he saw a
desk on the far end. “Hello?” He called out.
There was no reply.
The air smelled faintly of blood and
death. There was a thin layer of dust on the floor, here and there disturbed by
scuff marks. He walked up to the desk and laid the briefcase on it. He checked
his phone and saw that it wasn’t even six yet. He wondered if she was even
there.
He sent her number a text message, The briefcase is on the table.
He turned around, heard something
shift in the dark. “Hello?” He called out, again. His voice had squeaked. It
had been involuntary. He cleared his throat, attempted a manlier, “Hullo?”
He didn’t hear anything else. There
was a faint glint that appeared, something like a pair of eyes, that vanished
like smoke. Will found the door he’d entered through and left.
He walked through Downtown to get
home, staying on the busy streets. He kept expecting to see the crimson haired
pyreweavers, all dressed in grey.
Will returned home slightly after
six fifteen, feeling tired. There was a familiar pair of shoes by the front
door. “Dani,” he said, “You home?”
“Yeah,” she said, looking up from
the living room couch. “You look a little like a used napkin right about now.
Where’s your jacket? Did you drop it somewhere?”
“I lost it,” he said, “Set it down
at the mall and forgot to go back for it.”
“You get anything cool at the mall?”
She asked, “Like, a pack of condoms or something stupid?”
“No,” he said, “Why would you even
ask me that? I got a stupid briefcase for some girl somewhere and delivered it
for her.”
“Some girl?” Dani asked, “Someone catch the apple of your eye?”
“Not really,” Will said, “She
threatened to kill you, mom, and dad, if I didn’t do the delivery for her. So I
did it. Ran into some pyreweavers. Had to
fight them off. And then I jumped into a speeding car and dropped it off at
an empty warehouse that smelled like a slaughterhouse.”
“Ha ha,” she said, “What did you really do?”
“That,” he said, “Everything I just said.”
“That is way too heroic for you,” Dani said, “You’d probably just tell the
girl that you were busy. She’d have to pull you by the shirt collar to make you
do anything.”
“No,” Will said, “She threatened you
guys and I jumped on the opportunity. Maybe you should try believing that I that
I might actually be hero material.”
“Hah,” Dani said, “I’ll believe that
when… uh… something really improbable
happens.”
Later that night, as Will tried to
sleep, he heard a rock bounce off of his window. He looked out and saw a girl
standing in his yard, looking up at him. She wore a hooded sweatshirt that
covered half her face, but he could see that she was giving him a thumbs up. He
waved at her, and she left. He thought she’d been smiling ever so slightly. But
he couldn’t see any teeth or anything. There hadn’t been an appropriate light
source for that.
NEXT PAGE (?)
NEXT PAGE (?)
No comments:
Post a Comment