June 27, 2012

Chapter Ten Page Ten, Will, Downtown



Instead, Will shot a glance over his shoulder to see if his pursuers were still after him; and of course they were. Will didn’t think either of them looked even remotely winded. He did notice a red muscle car behind them. He hoped the driver would try to help somehow.

            When the car pulled up alongside him, Will was a little puzzled when it didn’t drive past. But the passenger side window rolled down, and Adam shouted, “BRO… GET. IN. THE. CAR.”
Will grabbed the door handle, pulled, found it locked, and then leapt into the window. Adam sped off, with his legs still hanging out, but Will pulled himself inside and set the briefcase on the floormat. “Thanks,” he said, “I was pretty sure I was fucked back there.”
            “You were, ‘til I showed up!” He said, “Who were those guys? I haven’t seen them around before.”
            “Members of… a gang,” Will said, “Organized crime.”
            “Shit, man, what are you doing getting caught up with them,” he said, “You’re like on your way to Harvard. You can’t be getting mixed up with those punks.”
            “I never expected you to moralize me,” Will said, “Thanks. But I didn’t try to get mixed up with them. They’re after the briefcase, and I have to deliver it somewhere or else… Well, it’s complicated and I don’t really know how to describe it. You know?”
            “Not really,” he said, “Where did you want me to drop you off?”
            “Downtown,” Will said, “There’s a warehouse I need to get to.”
            “You know where?” He asked.
            “It’s on North Street,” Will said.
            “That fucking warehouse?” He asked.
            “Yeah.”
            “I heard it was haunted by vampires,” he said.
            “That’s reassuring,” Will said.
            In a few minutes they got there. Will stayed quiet, looking in the rearview to see if anyone was still following them. He expected to get a phone call from the girl at any moment.
            After Adam parallel parked next to the front door, he shut off the engine.
            “No,” Will said, “You should get going. I’ll walk home.”
            “Are you sure?” Adam asked, “What if those punks show up again?”
            “They won’t care,” Will said, “They were after the briefcase. Plus, there’s less places for them to get me in Downtown that won’t have people watching.”
            “Ok,” he said, “Call me if you need a ride home somewhere. Or some help in a fight. Bro. I can grab my baseball bat and give you assistance anytime.”
            “Thanks, but I think these kids would probably be able to deal with a baseball bat,” Will said. He opened the door, “I appreciate it though.”
            “No prob,” Adam said, “Good luck with your briefcase. I hope you don’t get jumped like that one kid did.”
            “Thanks,” Will said, “Seeya.”
            “Seeya,” Adam said.
            Will shut the car door and stood before the warehouse. He stepped around to the side door and turned the knob. The door swung open and he stepped inside. He closed it behind him.

No comments:

Post a Comment