“You are being watched by the party opposite
those who captured him,” the Mother said, “This party will know if you find
him, and will likely act on such knowledge to attempt a rescue. If you find
your father while he is in captivity, it will be the last time you see him.”
“What am I supposed to do then?” Mary asked.
“Would you rather see him one final time?”
The Mother asked, “Or be content in the knowledge that he is alive?”
Mary could not think of an answer.
“I may be able to offer our assistance to
you, to rescue your father in such a way that he does not die due to our
actions,” the Mother said, “But only after you have secured the Candle Crown.
Until then, a shopkeeper in Downtown, Aland, may be your first clue, should you
attempt to rescue your father on your own.”
“Thank you,” Mary said.
This elicited laughter, and the terrible
impression that a thousand fingers were poking around in her head, etching
designs both alien and strange. They were digging, Mary thought, why hadn’t she
noticed it yet? They’d been in there the entire time! She hated it. It was the
worst thing to feel in the world. She shut her eyes.
Dani’s hand was at her shoulder next,
“Mary,” she said, “They’re gone.”
Mary opened her eyes. The room was brighter.
It was the evening light, though. “Oh,” she said.
“What did they do?” Dani asked, “When they
removed the blinds all I could see was, like, you getting fetal.”
Mary uncurled and sat up. She brought her
knees to her chin, “I don’t know.” Her voice carried all the power of a rusted
battery, “I don’t know what I expected them to say.”
“About your father?” Dani asked.
The door on the side of the warehouse shook,
and then swung open. Will entered. He was holding an iron sword in his right
hand. Some Latin words were engraved on the side; no one in the room could
really see them clear enough to read or understand them. He was wearing a white
and red pea coat and military boots. “Ok,” he said, “I’m here.” He looked
startled to see Mary.
“A little late,” Dani said, “You were right,
by the way. I guess you were a hero
yesterday.”
His face twisted a little. His insides did
too, but that was significantly less visible.
“Thanks though,” Dani said, “They were
expecting us to be here.”
“Oh,” Will said, “Shit.”
“You played right into their hands, dude,”
Dani said, “But I guess I can’t blame you. They just gave me a mission. They
gave Mary a mission too and then freaked her out about her dad.”
“Her dad?” Will asked.
“He’s been captured,” Mary said, “The Mother
told me that he’s being held in a basement somewhere.”
“Well,” Will said, “Where? Do you have any
leads? Did they give you any hints?” He sheathed the sword, “We should probably
start looking tonight, before it gets too late.”
Mary shook her head.
“In the hero mood?” Dani asked. “It seems
you are suddenly filled with inspiration and, like, giving a shit about things.
That’s pretty cool. But nope. Mary doesn’t know a single thing.”
“If I go looking for him, he will die,” Mary
said, “The Mother said so.”
“You keep saying ‘The Mother’ like I know
what you’re talking about,” Will said, “Who is it?”
NEXT PAGE
NEXT PAGE
No comments:
Post a Comment